Textual responses to NPS surveys are one of the more common ways of understanding your clients’ pain. Using NPS themes, you can manually categorize your NPS textual responses using themes. This lets you organize and analyze NPS faster and generate more actionable insights so you can maximize your understanding of how your users are experiencing your application.
Note: Only English textual responses are supported. Non-English responses will be grouped under the Other theme.
View NPS themes and responses
- On the NPS page, search for and select a survey. The Overview tab displays the survey dashboard with the Promoters and Detractors NPS Themes widgets, which show:
- All themes created from textual responses of promoters and detractors.
- Number of responses per theme.
- Percentage of responses out of total responses, not including the Unassigned theme.
- There may be themes where there are only detractors and no promoters and vice versa.
- Use the dashboard filters to change the information displayed in the widgets.
- Select a theme to open a side panel to see its responses and distribution chart. See Quick access to responses in a theme for more information.
- Select the download icon in a widget to download an image of it, or select the dashboard icon to add the widget to your main dashboard.
- Select Create Segment to create a segment from the theme.
Quick access to responses in a theme
You can now quickly access, review, and triage responses assigned to a theme.
- Select a theme in one of the NPS themes widgets. A side panel opens, showing all the responses.
- Rename the theme by hovering over the name and selecting the Edit icon.
- Use the Sort by and Filter by options to sort and filter as required.
For each response, you can see the NPS score given by the user.
- Select the theme name in a response to reassign or unassign the theme. Each time you make a change, the number count for the themes assigned to that response updates according to the change you make. You will see the change when you close the side panel and reselect the theme.
- To view the responses for the theme in the Responses table, select Open Responses Tab. The table is filtered automatically, showing all responses for the theme. For information about triaging themes more extensively inside the Responses table, see Triage NPS themes.
You can view the Responses table in the Responses tab, which shows information about the responses to your NPS survey.
- See the Visitor ID, their response, and the assigned theme. Responses older than two years appear in the table without a theme.
- Resize columns by dragging left or right as required.
- Assign, reassign, or remove themes for a response. See Manually triage NPS Themes.
- Filter the table by NPS Themes. Each theme shows a count of how many responses are assigned to it.
- Filter by textual or blank responses. Blank responses are non-textual responses.
- Search for themes or responses.
- Perform other actions:
- Download the table as a comma-separated values (CSV) file for further analysis
- Manage columns
- Manage responses
Note: The Responses table shows a maximum of 10000 responses.
Manually triage NPS themes
The ability to manually triage NPS themes provides additional tools to manage your NPS textual responses.
- Create a theme
- Assign themes
- Rename a theme
- Delete a theme
Permissions to triage NPS themes are granted to the following roles:
Default user roles:
- Guide Creator
- Guide Content Editor
A new custom NPS permission, Triage NPS Themes, which Admin can enable or disable when creating a custom role.
Create a theme
- In the Responses table, expand the All NPS Themes dropdown list, or select the + icon on a response in the table, and select +Create NPS Theme.
- Enter a name for the theme and select Create NPS Theme to finish.
Note: Theme names can include English characters, dashes, and underscores only. Other characters are not supported and will cause an error message to display.
Assign a theme
You can assign or remove themes for a textual response.
To assign a theme:
- Select the + in the NPS Theme column of the response.
- In the drop-down list of themes, assign or reassign themes for the response. As you start to assign themes to responses, the Promoter and Detractor widgets in the Overview tab are automatically populated with the relevant information and themes.
Rename a theme
- Hover over a theme in the All NPS Themes dropdown list, or select the + icon on a response in the table, and select the Edit icon.
- Enter a new name for the theme and select Save NPS Theme.
Delete a theme
- Hover over a theme in the All NPS Themes dropdown list, or select the + icon on a response in the table, and select the Trash icon.
- Confirm that you want to delete the theme and select Delete NPS Theme. When a theme is deleted, the responses assigned to it are now assigned to No Theme.
Bulk assign or remove themes from responses
You can assign or remove themes from selected responses as a bulk action.
Note: These actions are limited to 20 responses each time.
- Select the checkbox adjacent to the required responses and select Assign NPS Themes or Remove NPS Themes.
- In the window that opens after your selection, select themes from the dropdown list and select Save changes. The example shown here is for assigning themes.
Create a segment from a theme
You can create a segment from a theme to group users based on feedback topics to identify common product behavior of detractors or announce a new feature. Use the segments to determine product usage or target in-app guides based on common feedback. When you create a segment, the Create Segment page opens with all fields pre-populated with information from the theme you selected.
You can change all filters as required, specifically the filters relating to NPS Themes:
NPS Themes or NPS Polls:
- If you select NPS Themes, the Themes filter is available to select a theme
- If you select NPS Polls, the Themes filter disappears
- Theme: Select a different theme than the one you selected in the NPS dashboard
- Response groups; default is All Response Groups, you can select Promoters, Detractors, or Passive
If required, you can combine an “And” rule with different attributes. See the example below:
When you create the segment by selecting +Create Segment, it is added to the Segments list.
You can also create a segment for an NPS Theme directly from the Segments page.