Pendo uses the term “visitors” to refer to the end users of your applications. You can access visitor data throughout Pendo and access specific visitor details under People > Visitors.
When you select a Visitor ID from the Visitors table or search for a specific visitor in the top-right corner of the Visitors page, you are directed to the Visitor Details page. The Visitor Details page provides insights that are specific to an individual visitor, including metadata values, usage information, and more.
This article reviews how to interpret the Visitor Details page in Pendo Engage.
Like most pages in Pendo, you can find a date range filter and app filter (if you have more than one app in your subscription) at the top of the Visitor Details page. Use these filters to customize the data displayed in the metrics, charts, and tables to meet your needs. These filters won’t impact the data in the Details section.
View visitor activity
To explore event data for a specific day, you can use the visitor activity log located to the right of the page filters. The visitor activity log isn't supported for extension apps.
Select View Activity to open the visitor activity log, then adjust each filter to meet your needs:
- Date. Activity is visible for a single day. Set to the current calendar date by default.
- App. View activity for all apps, web only, mobile only, or a single app. Set to all apps by default.
- Product Elements. View tagged Features, guides, Pages, untagged Pages, Track Events, and Focus Events. Select all or any combination of events. Focus Events are deselected by default, as they represent both click and non-click interactions with elements, which could result in unnecessary noise in the activity log, depending on your specific needs.
- Search. Use this field to search for a specific event name on the selected day.
- Hide filters. Select this to collapse your filters. To unhide the filters, select Show filters.
- Clear filters. Select this to reset the filters to their default settings.
Below the filters, you can find a summary of the visitor details, including the date, time zone, browser type and version, operating system, and total time spent in your apps.
Below the summary, you can view each event triggered by the visitor and the corresponding timestamp. Select an event name to open the details page for that specific event in a new browser tab.
If you have Pendo Replay enabled, you can also view any replays associated with the events in the log by selecting Watch replay. Note that there won't be replays available if the associated replays have reached the 14-day limit and expired.
View visitor details
By default, certain details like device data, Pendo settings, and the most recent metadata values stored for a visitor are collapsed. Select the Details dropdown component to expand these details.
The Pendo Settings section includes several self-explanatory metadata fields. Here are definitions for the fields that might not be as straightforward:
- Sample Group. Determines the sample group to which the visitor belongs. Sample groups refer to subsets of your visitors that are randomly selected and represent a portion of your overall user base.
- Exclude list. Indicates whether the visitor is currently on the Exclude List and provides a direct link to add the visitor to the Exclude List if necessary.
- Hide guides from this visitor. If enabled, this setting removes the visitor from the segments for all current and future guides. If you don’t see this setting and are interested in enabling it, contact Technical Support.
- Do Not Process (GDPR). If enabled, this prevents Pendo from collecting events for or displaying guides to this visitor. Note that if this visitor is associated with multiple accounts, data could still be captured if they aren't logged into this specific account.
Below the Pendo Settings section, you can find a few different sections that contain the metadata fields and values that are set up under Settings > Data Mappings. Each of these sections display the last value received by Pendo:
- Agent metadata includes all values that are passed through the Pendo agent.
- Integration-specific metadata, such as Salesforce, HubSpot, and Segment.com, consist of values that are passed through third-party integrations.
- Custom metadata includes all values that are either created and manually updated in the UI or the API.
While metadata can change over time, Pendo only displays the most recently received values, regardless of the date or app filters applied. If you have historical metadata enabled, you can use Data Explorer to view changes in metadata values over time.
View visitor metrics
Below the Details dropdown, you can find several basic metrics on the Visitor Details page. These metrics include the following:
- Number of days active. Indicates the total number of days that the visitor has used your apps. A visitor is considered active if they trigger at least one event within a 24-hour period.
- Average time per day. Indicates the average amount of time that the visitor spent in your apps on the days they were active. Time is shown in hours and minutes.
- Total time. Indicates the total amount of time that the visitor has spent in your apps. We add one minute to the counter for each minute we register an event, and we don’t include inactive periods, such as having the app open in a background browser tab.
- Usage trending. Indicates whether the visitor’s overall usage is trending up or down. It compares the visitor’s total time for the selected date range (period n) to the previous period of equal length (n-1).
Understand visitor charts and tables
The Visitor Details page includes several charts and tables that provide more insight into the visitor’s activity in your apps. If there are multiple apps in your subscription, the charts and tables might have an additional app filter that impacts the displayed data.
Line chart for activity
The line chart provides a snapshot of the visitor’s activity and displays all Daily Events over the selected date range by default. Select the dropdown arrows in the chart title to modify the date range and data displayed, such as Weekly Time on Apps.
Hover over a data point in the chart to view the total number of events or time spent in your apps. If you have multiple apps, select the app names in the legend at the bottom of the chart to update the displayed app data.
Treemap for Page usage
The Page Usage treemap displays overall Page activity for the visitor over the selected date range. Each Page is color-coded by the associated Product Area. By default, the chart shows the Time on Page. Select the dropdown arrow in the title to change the view to Page Loads, which represents the number of times that the visitor opened or refreshed a specific Page.
Hover over a Page to view the full Page name, the total number of events (Page views or loads) for that Page, and the total time the visitor spent on that Page.
Treemap for Feature usage
The Feature Usage treemap displays overall Feature activity for the visitor over the selected date range. Each Feature is color-coded by the associated Product Area. Hover over a Feature to view the full Feature name and the number of events (interactions) for that specific Feature.
Table for guides seen
The Guides Seen table displays each in-app guide that the visitor has viewed in your apps over the selected date range. The table includes the guide name, the app in which the guide was viewed, the total number of times the visitor viewed that guide, and the date and time of the last viewing. Select a guide name to open the relevant Guide Details page.
Table for poll activity
The Polls Activity table displays every poll response the visitor has ever submitted when viewing guides in your apps. The table includes the associated guide name, the app in which the guide was viewed, poll question they responded to, poll type, submitted response, and date and time of the response submission. Select a guide name to open the relevant Guide Details page.
Table for top parameters
If you’re using parameterized URLs, the Top Parameters table displays the top parameters for the visitor and includes the Page, parameter, and number of views for that parameter.
If the visitor has no events during the specified time range or app and has no events on a tagged Page where the Page rule has *parameter* present, this section doesn’t display.
Table for visitor timeline
The Timeline table displays each date the visitor was active and allows you to explore their specific actions while using your apps. The visitor timeline isn't supported for extension apps.
Select a date to view the visitor’s activity for that day.
Once you select a date, a scatter plot opens with the events divided by Pages, Track Events, Features, and Guides. Hover over an event in the timeline to view more detailed information about that event, such as the time spent or browser data
If you want to zoom in on the timeline, click and drag your mouse horizontally over the desired section in the chart, and repeat as needed. To return to the original view, select Reset zoom in the bottom-right corner of the chart.
Note: If the visitor timeline is empty and this is unexpected, the visitor might be on the Exclude List or using an ad-blocking plugin or application.
If you have Pendo Feedback enabled, there’s also a Feedback tab at the top of the Visitor Details page. Select this tab to view the full list of product requests associated with the visitor.
The table shows the name, status, and priority of each feedback request the visitor has created or voted on. If the visitor has voted on a feedback request, the date range filter corresponds to the date the visitor voted on the request rather than the date the request was created.
Select the name of a product request to open the request in Pendo Feedback and view the voters, comments, and any labels attached to the feedback request.