What do I need to know before I import my backlog?
You'll want to think about how you want your tags and modules set up in Pendo Feedback, because these can be brought in all at once via your import file. If you set these up before you import, you won't have to lift a finger afterwards! See our best practices for setting up tags and modules.
It’s very easy to populate your Pendo Feedback account with a CSV file (UTF-8) using our import tool.
We recommend populating your account with at least:
- 20 requests from your backlog
- 5 recent releases
- A few items that are currently in progress or on your roadmap
You want to show your customers + teams what to expect when they login to Pendo Feedback so they'll want to come back and check for updates!
How to import your CSV file
You will have the ability to designate a column in your CSV for your Pendo Feedback feature requests:
- Title (minimum required, 192 character limit)
- Description - A written description (in markdown formatting).
- Tags - A comma-separated list of tags.
- Products / Modules - A comma-separated list of products. They must exist in Pendo Feedback already.
- Added Users - A comma-separated list of user IDs. They must exist in Pendo Feedback already.
- Zendesk tickets - You can link Zendesk tickets to imported requests by referencing the Zendesk ticket here. Note: the Zendesk integration must be configured before importing requests.
Use our csv import template when signed into a Google account.
Once you have your CSV file, make sure it's saved as Unicode UTF-8.
Click "Upload file".
If your CSV has a header row, select “Yes”. Choose the appropriate title, description, and tag columns and leave the rest as the default Not used. As you choose the columns, you’ll see a preview of how your data will be imported into Pendo Feedback.
Once you’re happy with the setup, select Import. Once your data has imported, you will have a confirmation message listing the number of requests that were imported.
Example CSV file
Use this example csv file to learn how to use markdown in your description and feature tags and products when you import. Save a copy and use this file to populate your data. (You must be signed into a Google account to save a copy.)
This is the example CSV file after it has been uploaded. Note that the markdown is still visible here.
And then this is how the request will look in the import preview:
If you have any problems, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the CSV file you’d like to import.
- Backlog items to "Awaiting feedback"
- Recent releases to "Released" to start populating your release log
- Roadmap items to "Planned" or "Building" to automatically add these onto your What's Coming list.