What do I need to do before I import my backlog?
IMPORTANT: If you do not want team members or customers to receive email notifications as you import & change the status of your request, ensure you update your settings.
Think about how you want your tags and Apps set up in Pendo Feedback, because these can be brought in all at once via your import file. If you set these up before you import, you won't have to lift a finger afterwards!
Think about whether or not you want to link customers to requests. This is especially relevant if you are moving from a different feedback system and want customer names to remain associated to a request. You will need to ensure customer records are already in Feedback so you can use the ID to link them to a request as part of the csv import
If you are moving feedback systems, you might want to keep the request status. You cannot import request statuses so you will need a separate csv file for each type of request. This is explained in detail further down this help article.
Create a great custom saved response for the different request statuses.
Which requests should I import into Feedback?
It’s very easy to populate your Pendo Feedback account with a CSV file (UTF-8) using our import tool.
We recommend populating your account with at least:
- 20 requests from your backlog
- 5 - 10 recent releases that customers would be interested in
- A few items that are currently in progress or on your roadmap
You want to show your customers + teams what to expect when they login to Pendo Feedback so they'll want to come back and check for updates!
Adding items already in progress into Feedback is a great way to get customers to add their voice to projects you know you will be working on.
Pro tip: Don't worry about importing everything! We see many approaches to this so pick what works for you. If you have an active customer community around product feedback or a smaller volume, it might make sense to import all of your request data. In cases where there is a huge volume or a lot of out-of-date requests, just importing recent or relevant requests works best.
How do I import the request status?
If you are moving from an existing product feedback system, you may already have a status on your requests (for example, "Released", "Planned", "Building"). To add the status to your requests you will need to use a separate csv for each status of request, importing one at a time.
Pendo Feedback has the following request statuses which you can map to.
- Not Reviewed
- Awaiting Feedback
Requests are imported with a status of "Not Reviewed". Simply bulk update the status of your imported requests as you. Here's the workflow:
- Import one of your csv files containing requests which will all have the same status (i.e., "Released")
- Import your requests - they will have the status of "Not Reviewed"
- Go to "Browse" in the main nav of your Feedback account
- Filter down to all requests with a status of "Not Reviewed"
- Use the "Bulk actions" dropdown menu & select the status those requests should belong to
Here are some suggested mappings:
- Backlog items should be changed to "Awaiting feedback"
- Recent releases should be changed to "Released" to start populating your release log
- Roadmap items should be under "Planned" or "Building" to automatically add these onto your What's Coming list.
How to import your CSV file
You will have the ability to designate a column in your CSV for your Pendo Feedback requests:
- Title (minimum required, 192 character limit)
- Description - A written description (in markdown formatting).
- Tags - A comma-separated list of tags.
- Apps- A comma-separated list of your Pendo Apps the request will belong to. They must exist in Pendo already.
- Added Users - A comma-separated list of user IDs. They must exist in Pendo already.
- Zendesk tickets - You can link Zendesk tickets to imported requests by referencing the Zendesk ticket here. Note: the Zendesk integration must be configured before importing requests.
Use our csv import template when signed into a Google account.
Once you have your CSV file, make sure it's saved as Unicode UTF-8.
Click "Upload file".
If your CSV has a header row, select “Yes”. Choose the appropriate title, description, and tag columns and leave the rest as the default Not used. As you choose the columns, you’ll see a preview of how your data will be imported into Pendo Feedback.
Once you’re happy with the setup, select Import. Once your data has imported, you will have a confirmation message listing the number of requests that were imported.
Example CSV file
Use this example csv file. Save a copy and use this file to populate your data. (You must be signed into a Google account to save a copy.)
Note that in the import view, you will still see markdown formatting in the request description:
This is removed when when the import is complete:
If you have any problems, just email email@example.com and attach the CSV file you’d like to import.