Using anonymous Visitor IDs in Pendo allows you to track the activity of users while keeping the identity of those visitors anonymous. For more information about anonymous visitors, see Anonymous visitors.
If you're using anonymous Visitor IDs and a visitor navigates between subdomains, you can adjust the install script for your Pendo subscription to ensure that the same anonymous Visitor ID is used on both subdomains.
For example, you might want to know when the same anonymous visitor first visits
blog.example.com and then visits
support.example.com. You can do this by implementing the
cookieDomain setting in your install script.
- Ask a developer to update your install script by adding
cookieDomain: '.example.com'to the
pendo.initialize()function , replacing .example.com with the appropriate domain. This allows you to use the same cookie to track the anonymous visitor on all of the
- Open Pendo, and navigate to Settings > Subscription Settings. You must be an Admin to access this page.
Open the Applications tab, then find and open the relevant app from your Applications list.
- Ensure that the following options aren't selected in the App Details tab. If either of these settings are selected, the
cookieDomainsetting doesn't work correctly:
- Disable client-side storage (Agent cookies and local storage)
- Prevent the web agent from using cookies when local storage is not available
- If you want to track anonymous visitors across apps within the same domain, ensure that the Enable cross-app cookies for consistent anonymous visitor identification setting is selected. This setting isn't currently available for extension apps.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each app where you want to track anonymous visitors across subdomains.
For more information about the install script and the initialize function, see the Developer's guide to installing Pendo.