Product innovation is key to customer retention, competitive advantage, growth. Knowing what to build next will increase your chances of finding product-market fit faster because you can deliver the right features faster, increase retention and growth, accelerate customer time-to-value, and maximize engineering time spent on building the right things.
Product managers don’t necessarily need a fully-baked, step-by-step framework to tell them how to do their jobs — they need good tools, and (more importantly) good habits for utilizing those tools to drive results.
How to Make It
Step by step instructions for setup:
- Take an inventory of all the places feedback is currently being taken and condense sources of feedback into one source of truth
- Understand current product usage:
- Identify highest usage visitors and study usage patterns by role
- Understand variations by sentiment (NPS score)
- Understand variations in revenue impact by sentiment
- Understand the highest used features and areas in your application using the Feature Adoption Analysis widget:
4. Use qualitative and quantitative inputs to generate themes around potential product improvements
5. Validate core themes with customers:
- Use polls and surveys to validate hypotheses about what you’re seeing in the product usage and what you’re hearing anecdotally:
6. Prioritize potential new features
- Assess the potential revenue of each feature by looking at your feature request data impact and consider the level of effort
7. Communicate releases with customers:
- For maximum impact, display in-app feature announcements to relevant users to drive adoption. Make sure you specify the appropriate audience by including the right segments.
- If you have multiple in-app guides already public, make sure you are determining the right cadence and priority using Guide throttling and ordering.
- Use Pendo’s Resource Center to keep a log of all product updates in our “Announcements” module: