Adding features is great, but without culling the features in an application, we can quickly get to a place where the product is heavy with an overwhelming user experience.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Questions to answer
- Who is still using this feature?
- What share of revenue do these users represent?
- Why are they using this feature?
- How can we let users know?
- What can we learn?
Who is using x?
Feature Detail page
Why are they using x?
In-app open text survey segmented to users
Open ended survey - helpful for exploratory
Or simple yes/no to gauge negative impact
How can we let Users Know?
Breaking the bad news
Make it clear:
- Feature will be sunset
- Exact date when this will happen
- Alternatives within app or migration guidance