The HubSpot integration pulls HubSpot metadata into your Pendo subscription. The integration pulls in HubSpot data nightly, between 12:00AM and 6:00AM, according to the subscription's timezone. This adds any new metadata fields to Visitor and Account IDs, and overwrites any previous metadata in existing fields.
The resulting Visitor and Account metadata can be used for segmentation in guides and analytics, and added to your reports to view your CRM data in Pendo. By connecting HubSpot and Pendo, you can use CRM data to:
- Target in-app guides based on your customer segments and marketing campaigns.
- Report on product usage by customer tiers, pricing, or account status.
- Combine product insights in Pendo with trial conversion or upsells in HubSpot.
- Find the features and usage patterns that result in increased revenue.
- Pendo Admin user.
- HubSpot Admin user or HubSpot Add App permissions.
- Active HubSpot integration in Pendo.
- Pendo Account ID in Hubspot.
Tip: Reach out to your Pendo contact if you need to add the HubSpot Integration to your Pendo subscription.
Set up the HubSpot integration
The HubSpot integration is entirely self-service and doesn't require any code. It uses your HubSpot login information to authenticate with Pendo. Setup can be completed in minutes and updated as needed to add additional metadata after the initial setup.
Metadata can't be changed manually or deleted after being pulled into Pendo. Check the parameters you use for initial Visitor and Account ID mapping and only select the fields you want available as Pendo metadata during setup.
The video below walks through the installation and mapping of the data, with written instructions following.
Step 1: Authenticate with HubSpot
Authentication with HubSpot only needs to be done once and can be done at either the Visitor or Account level in Settings > Data Mappings. The HubSpot Integration widget is at the bottom of both the Visitor Level Data tab and the Account Level Data tab. The same authentication is used for both the Account and Visitor levels.
1. Under the HubSpot integration widget at the bottom of the page (either HubSpot Visitor Integration or HubSpot Account Integration), select 1. Authenticate With HubSpot. The browser automatically redirects to HubSpot.
- If you're already signed into HubSpot and only have one HubSpot account, you're immediately prompted to Grant Access.
- If you're not signed into HubSpot, sign in to be taken to the Integration Permissions page and select Grant Access.
- If you have multiple HubSpot accounts, select the account you want to sync with Pendo from the list of accounts and then select Grant Access.
2. After access is granted, the browser redirects back to Data Mappings.
Navigate to the HubSpot integration widget at the bottom of the page. If authentication is successful, a green check appears next to Authenticate With HubSpot (step 1).
3. Repeat for Visitor-level or Account-level data mappings as required.
The second time you authenticate you only need to click Authenticate and the connection is made automatically without having to go through account selection in HubSpot again.
Step 2: Set up data mapping
To map successfully, the values in HubSpot must exactly match the Pendo IDs. Any prefixes or modification of an ID in either platform, resulting in a partial match, doesn't map successfully. All other metadata is pulled using these values as the only linked parameter.
Mapping HubSpot Contacts and Companies with Pendo Visitor IDs and Account IDs must be done separately for Visitor and Account metadata in their respective tabs in Settings > Data Mappings. In the Visitor Level Data tab, map the HubSpot Contact to the Pendo Visitor ID. In the Account Level Data tab, map the HubSpot Company to the Pendo Account ID.
The process for data mapping is the same for Visitor and Account metadata.
1. Under the HubSpot integration widget at the bottom of the page (either HubSpot Visitor Integration or HubSpot Account Integration), select 2. Setup.
2. Select the HubSpot field that exactly matches the Pendo Visitor ID or Account ID.
If you're setting up Visitor ID, map to HubSpot Contact. If you're setting up Account ID, map to HubSpot Company.
3. Select Save to set the ID mapping. If mapping is successful, a green check appears next to Setup (step 2).
4. Repeat for Visitor-level or Account-level data mappings as required.
Step 3: Choose fields to add Pendo
Return to this step at any time to change the fields that are pulled into Pendo. Data that has already been pulled into Pendo isn't affected but you can start pulling in new fields or stop pulling in selected fields as needed.
Field selection must be done separately for Visitor and Account metadata in their respective tabs in Settings > Data Mappings. The Visitor Level Data tab shows the fields associated with HubSpot Contacts and the Account Level Data tab shows the fields associated with HubSpot Companies.
The process for selecting fields to pull into Pendo is the same for Visitor and Account metadata.
1. Under the HubSpot integration widget at the bottom of the page (either HubSpot Visitor Integration or HubSpot Account Integration), select 3. Choose Fields to Add to Pendo.
2. Select + Add Fields. This opens a multi-select menu.
3. Use the checkboxes next to items in the menu to select and deselect fields. Selected fields are moved to the HubSpot integration widget.
4. Select Save & Sync in the bottom-right to save the integration settings and start the first data sync. If the sync is successful, a green check appears next to Choose Fields to Add to Pendo (step 3).
7. Repeat for Visitor-level or Account-level data mappings as required.
The widget updates with the date and time of the last sync. You should begin to see HubSpot metadata in the Pendo UI in the next hour. The sync repeats automatically nightly. There is also an option to manually Sync Again.
To remove a field, select the X next to the field name. This removes the field from future syncs and has no effect on data that has already been pulled into Pendo.
Technical troubleshooting for metadata types
HubSpot Contact and Company properties exist in several different types. The property type in HubSpot is mapped to a corresponding metadata type in Pendo. Properties in HubSpot that don't have a translation in Pendo can't be imported. This can result in some HubSpot fields being unavailable.
Conversion of HubSpot Custom Properties
- Single-line Text <> Pendo String
- Multi-line Text <> Pendo String
- Single Checkbox <> Pendo Boolean
- Multiple Checkboxes <> Pendo String
- Dropdown Select <> Pendo String
- Radio Select <> Pendo String
- Date Picker <> Pendo Time
- Number Field <> Pendo Float
- Calculation <> Pendo Float, Boolean, etc. depending on calculation
- Score <> Pendo Float
- File <> Not Supported
- HubSpot User <> Pendo String
Supported Metadata Translations
- HubSpot String <> Pendo String
- HubSpot Number <> Pendo Float
- HubSpot Boolean <> Pendo Boolean
- HubSpot Date <> Pendo Time
- HubSpot DateTime <> Pendo Time
- HubSpot Enumeration (list or selection values) <> Pendo String
- HubSpot PhoneNumber <> Pendo String
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I push data from Pendo to HubSpot?
Pendo doesn't have a native integration to push data from Pendo directly to HubSpot. However, there are a variety of methods available to export data from Pendo (CSV, API, other third parties), which you can then upload to HubSpot.
What if the Visitor ID and Account ID values in Pendo don't currently exist in HubSpot?
Set up a process to export the Account IDs from Pendo and push those values into a field on the HubSpot company record. You might need to pull additional data from Pendo to help identify the appropriate company record in HubSpot. You must set up the same process with Visitor IDs and push those values into a field on the HubSpot contact record. These processes must run on a regular basis to add Visitor and Account IDs to the appropriate contact and company records in HubSpot as new Visitor and Account IDs are created in Pendo.
Is it possible to map multiple accounts in Pendo to one company in HubSpot?
It isn't possible to map multiple accounts in Pendo to one company in HubSpot. The values used for the Pendo IDs must exactly match the values in HubSpot to map successfully.