Important: Pendo integrations are only available for Zendesk Help Center and Chat products using Zendesk Web Widget (Classic). Pendo does not support integrations with Zendesk Messaging using the new Zendesk web widget. Zendesk Help Center and Chat are not available with Messaging and Zendesk does not currently support third-party integrations with Messaging.
Zendesk Messaging was launched for all new Zendesk customers on November 2, 2021 and existing customers can enable it manually. Messaging must be disabled to use Pendo integrations with Web Widget (Classic).
Learn how to disable Messaging in the Zendesk Help Center.
Note: This process is only required for customers who currently have the legacy version of the Zendesk Chat integration installed in their Pendo subscription. If you're only installing the latest version the Zendesk Chat integration, refer to the Zendesk Chat Integration Overview.
Pendo has upgraded the Zendesk Chat integration experience to use the native Zendesk Chat modal in the context of the Resource Center. Previously, the Zendesk Chat modal was rendered in an iframe in the Resource Center. The new experience has many benefits including presentation, usability, and utilizing updates from Zendesk.
The new integration has additional installation steps that weren't required in the legacy version.
- New Zendesk Chat integration must be added to the subscription
- New Zendesk Chat module needs to be added to the Resource Center
- Legacy Zendesk Chat module must be removed
- Zendesk Chat snippet needs to be added to the header of your application
Note: Installing the Zendesk Chat snippet was not required by the legacy version of the integration.
- Pendo Admin User
- Zendesk Admin user or Zendesk Chat Permissions
- Active Zendesk Integration for your Pendo subscription
- Engineer to install Zendesk Chat snippet
- Published Pendo Resource Center
- Agent Version 2.93.2 or greater
Reach out to your Pendo customer success or sales representative to add the Zendesk Integration to your Pendo subscription.
- The Zendesk snippet must be installed below the Pendo snippet in the page header
- Installing the Zendesk snippet without publishing the Zendesk Chat module in the Resource Center will load the Zendesk Chat launch badge over your UI
- The Resource Center only supports one chat integration and will only load the first module listed
Upgrading the Zendesk Chat integration is a three-step process. The chat module must be added to the Resource Center, the legacy module must be removed, and the Zendesk Chat snippet must be installed on any page where the chat module is used.
If the Zendesk snippet is installed and the new RC module isn't published, the Zendesk snippet will load Zendesk's launch button over your UI. If the chat module is in the published Resource Center, it won't show up in the Resource Center until it detects the installed chat snippet in your application. This install order acts a fail-safe, only showing the chat module when it's functional.
Upgrade the Zendesk Chat Module to the Resource Center
The Zendesk Chat integration needs to be added to the subscription then the Chat module can be added to the Resource Center. The chat module must be added to the Resource Center and published before the snippet is installed in your application, otherwise Zendesk will display their launch badge until the Resource Center module is added.
1. Navigate to Settings > Integrations.
2. Find the Zendesk Chat integration in Live Chat integrations and click Edit Integration.
3. Edit the Resource Center module details.
4. Click Save to Staging to make the integration available in the Resource Center.
Configure Resource Center
5. Navigate to Guides > Resource Center.
6. Click Add Module and add the Zendesk Chat module. Click Add Modules to save the new module to your draft Resource Center.
- If you need to change the order of your Resource Center modules or make any other changes, click Manage in My App.
- The segment for the Zendesk Chat module is set to Everyone by default. Do not change it. Users outside of a restricted segment will see the Zendesk Chat launch badge.
7. Find the legacy Zendesk Chat integration module in the list of modules in the draft Resource Center.
8. Click View Module Details and delete the legacy Zendesk Chat module. This will not remove the chat module from the Resource Center until this version of the Resource Center is published.
9. Click Push to Staging to promote your Resource Center to staging. As a best practice, you should review the new Resource Center and test the chat integration in your staging environment.
10. Click Push to Production to promote your new Resource Center from staging to your production environment. The Zendesk Chat module is now ready in your Resource Center.
Install the Zendesk Chat Snippet
Zendesk has installation instructions for installing the chat snippet. The process is similar to installing the Pendo snippet. The snippet needs to be added to the
<head> of any page where Zendesk Chat will be used. The chat module in the Resource Center will not load unless the snippet is present on the page.
The Zendesk Chat snippet must be installed below the the Pendo snippet in the
<head>. If the Zendesk snippet loads before the Pendo snippet, Zendesk will load their own chat launch button instead of using the Resource Center module.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use this chat integration if I'm using Zopim?
Zopim is Zendesk's legacy chat widget. This integration does not support Zopim. If you want to use this chat integration you must upgrade your Zendesk Legacy Chat account to use their enhanced experience. Zendesk has articles about the upgrade process.