After deployment, you may run into issues getting your Pendo content to appear on your website. As a very quick test, try following these steps:
- On a machine you’ve deployed the extension to, go to the website that should be showing the Pendo content
- Hit F12 to open the browser developer tools
- Go to the Console tab
- Type this into the Console input and hit enter: __pendoExtensions.Pendo('validateInstall')
If you do not receive a red error in the console, (and Pendo didn’t already exist on the page without the extension) this means the extension deployment is working correctly, and any other issues seeing the Pendo content are unrelated to the actual deployment.
If a red error did occur, it means the extension is not functioning properly. Here are a few common suggestions that can fix a problem with your deployment.
For the purpose of this document the Google Chrome Extension ID will be called <EXTENSION_ID>.
- The extension does not show in the browser
- Confirm that the installation process has been completed
- Both the GPO and SCCM methods result in a registry key being placed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SOFTWARE→Policies→Google→Chrome→ExtensionInstallForcelist location. This can be confirmed by opening Regedit on the affected user’s machine and looking for an entry like this:
- It’s possible a different Chrome extension has already been deployed by your organization in this manner. If the entry for this other extension is in the same ExtensionInstallForcelist registry key and has the same Name (for example, both named “1” or “2”) the extensions will conflict and only one of them will show. If this happens, make sure to change the Name for one of the extensions, as they must be unique.
- It’s possible a different Chrome extension was already mass deployed in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. If this is the case, try deploying both registry keys for the Pendo extension in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive as well.
- The extension shows in the browser but is not loading Pendo on the relevant site
- In Regedit, go to this location, and confirm the wmExtConfig value and data are there exactly as they appear in the mass deployment guide (this is the Configuration step): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE→SOFTWARE→Policies→Google→Chrome→3rdparty→extensions→<EXTENSION_ID>→policy
- Check with your IT team and confirm the domains listed here are whitelisted both for your network and proxy. Check www.whatismyproxy.com if you are not sure if you have a proxy.