ServiceNow delivers cross-enterprise digital workflows that connect people, functions, and systems to accelerate innovation, increase agility, and enhance productivity. Pendo can be installed over ServiceNow to collect usage analytics and deliver in-app messaging to employees using the ServiceNow platform. This additional capability allows you to ensure you're providing the best possible user experience to your team members using your business tools and maximizing their impact.
- Pendo Admin user to access Pendo application API key
Basic Pendo Setup
Adding Pendo to your ServiceNow service portals is straightforward. You need to assign a default application API key in the default Pendo Config. Then assign that default config to your service portals. You can override the default config with a new application API key if you need to collect data and deliver guides using a different Pendo application.
Tip: If you aren't a Pendo customer yet, you can try Pendo Free. Get analytics for up to 1,000 monthly active users (MAUs) and publish unlimited guides in ServiceNow. Upgrade to a paid plan when you're ready to increase the amount of MAUs and unlock premium Pendo features.
Get your Pendo application API key
Application API keys are in App Details in Subscription Settings. Chose the Pendo web app that you're going to use as the default config for collecting data and delivering guides.
1. Navigate to Subscription Settings
2. Click on View App Details for the Pendo app you want to use with your default Pendo config in ServiceNow.
3. Find the API key for the application and copy it to your clipboard.
Add your application API key to ServiceNow
You must enter the application API key into Pendo configuration General Settings in ServiceNow. This connects a default Pendo config in ServiceNow with your Pendo web app. Then add Pendo for Service Portal to the JS in the Portal Theme to make Pendo available in a service portal.
1. Navigate to General Settings for Pendo in ServiceNow. Paste your API key into the Pendo API key field. Click Update.
Add Pendo for Service Portal JS in Portal Themes
You need to add the Pendo for Service Portal JS in the portal theme for each service portal where you want to use Pendo.
1. Navigate to the Portal record where you wish to utilize Pendo and open the Theme.
2. In Related Links at the bottom, click the JS Includes tab, and click the Edit button.
Setup Pendo Config
ServiceNow activates Pendo according to the Pendo Config that you define. Add Pendo to all service portals or configure service portals individually. If you want to change the Pendo application API key used for a service portal, use the override API key setting.
1. Navigate to Pendo Config in Pendo Configuration settings to modify an existing Pendo Config or create a new Pendo Config.
2. Click New to create a new Pendo Config or click on an existing Pendo Config.
- Portals - Select the Service Portals where you want to activate Pendo or leave the field blank to activate Pendo on all Service Portals.
- Override API key - Replace the default Pendo application API key in General Settings with a different API key. This changes the Pendo application used for analytics and guides for all associated service portals.
- Override UI script - Use a unique Pendo JS snippet, not the default set in General Settings.
3. Check the Active checkbox to activate the Pendo Config.
4. Click Update to apply changes and add Pendo to your service portals.
Pendo will begin collecting data as soon as the configuration is complete. It may take up to two hours for usage data to process and appear in your Pendo subscription UI. Most usage data displayed in Pendo processes every hour on the hour and may take up to 15 minutes after processing to refresh in the UI.
Advanced Pendo Configuration
1. In ServiceNow, navigate to UI Scripts in Pendo Administration settings. Open the default UI Script snippet, generally named "[name].pendo_snippet".
2. Update the existing UI Script with your desired parameters and metadata.
3. Click Update to overwrite the existing UI Script or, if you want to leave the original UI script unaltered, rename the UI Script, right-click the header, and click Insert & Stay to create a new copy.
4. Change the UI script in General Settings or Pendo Config to use a new version of the snippet as your default snippet or run a specific version of the snippet with a certain Pendo Config.
To update the default UI script, update the Pendo UI Script field in the General Settings for Pendo.
To update the UI Script for a specific Pendo Config, update the Override UI script field for that Pendo Config.