Important: Pendo integrations are only available for Zendesk Help Center and Chat products using Zendesk Web Widget (Classic). Pendo does not support integrations with Zendesk Messaging using the new Zendesk web widget. Zendesk Help Center and Chat are not available with Messaging and Zendesk does not currently support third-party integrations with Messaging.
Zendesk Messaging was launched for all new Zendesk customers on November 2, 2021 and existing customers can enable it manually. Messaging must be disabled to use Pendo integrations with Web Widget (Classic).
Learn how to disable Messaging in the Zendesk Help Center.
Note: This process is only required for customers who currently have the legacy version of the Zendesk Help Center integration installed in their Pendo subscription. If you're only installing the latest version the Zendesk Help Center integration, refer to the Zendesk Knowledge Base Integration Overview.
Pendo has upgraded the Zendesk Help Center integration experience to use the native Zendesk web widget in the context of the resource center. Previously, the Zendesk Help Center module was rendered in an iframe in the resource center. Now, the resource center module launches the Zendesk Help Center in Zendesk's web widget, while suppressing the launcher button that's typically generated by Zendesk's web widget. The new experience has many benefits including presentation, usability, customization, and utilizing updates from Zendesk.
The new integration has additional installation steps that weren't required in the legacy version.
- New Zendesk Help Center integration must be added to the subscription
- New Zendesk Help Center module needs to be added to the resource center
- Legacy Zendesk Help Center module must be removed
- Zendesk web widget snippet needs to be added to the header of your application
Note: Installing the Zendesk web widget snippet was not required with the legacy version of the integration.
- Pendo Admin User
- Zendesk Admin user
- Active Zendesk Help Center integration for your Pendo subscription
- Engineer to install Zendesk web widget snippet
- Published Pendo Resource Center
- Agent Version 2.110.0 or greater
Reach out to your Pendo customer success or sales representative to add the Zendesk Integration to your Pendo subscription.
- The Zendesk snippet must be installed below the Pendo snippet in the page header
- Installing the Zendesk snippet without publishing the Zendesk Help Center module in the resource center will load the Zendesk web widget launch badge over your UI
- The resource center only supports one help center integration and will only load the first module listed
Upgrading the Zendesk Help Center integration is a three-step process. The Help Center module must be added to the resource center, the legacy module must be removed, and the Zendesk web widget snippet must be installed on any page where the Help Center module is used.
If the Zendesk web widget snippet is installed and the module isn't published, the Zendesk snippet will load Zendesk's launch button over your UI. If the help center module is in the published resource center, it won't show up in the resource center until it detects the installed web widget snippet in your application. This install order acts a fail-safe, only showing the help center module when it's functional.
Add the Zendesk Help Center Module to the Resource Center
The Zendesk Help Center integration needs to be added to the subscription then the Help Center module can be added to the resource center. The Help Center module must be added to the resource center and published before the Zendesk snippet is installed in your application, otherwise Zendesk will display their launch badge until the resource center module is added.
1. Navigate to Settings > Integrations.
2. Find the Zendesk Help Center integration in Knowledge Base integrations and click Add Integration.
3. Edit the resource center module details as needed.
4. Click Save to Staging to make the integration available in the Resource Center.
Configure Resource Center
5. Navigate to Guides > Resource Center.
6. Click Add Module and add the Zendesk Help Center module. Click Add Modules to save the new module to your draft resource center.
- If you need to change the order of your resource center modules or make any other changes, click Manage in My App.
- The segment for the Zendesk Help Center module is set to Everyone by default. Change the segment to restrict which users can see this module and access the Zendesk web widget.
7. Find the legacy Zendesk Help Center integration module in the list of modules in the draft Resource Center.
8. Click View Module Details and delete the legacy Zendesk Help Center module. This will not remove the Help Center module from the current published resource center. Changes will not be visible until this version of the resource center is published.
7. Click Push to Staging to promote your resource center to staging. As a best practice, you should review the new resource center and test the help center integration in your staging environment.
8. Click Push to Production to promote your new resource center from staging to your production environment. The Zendesk Help Center module is now available in your public resource center.
Install the Zendesk web widget snippet
Zendesk has installation instructions for installing the web widget snippet. The process is similar to installing the Pendo snippet. The snippet needs to be added to the
<head> of any page where the Help Center will be used. The help center module in the resource center will not load unless the snippet is present on the page.
The Zendesk web widget snippet must be installed below the the Pendo snippet in the
<head>. If the Zendesk snippet loads before the Pendo snippet, Zendesk will load their own launch button instead of using the resource center module.