Pendo Data Sync provides the ability to export Pendo data (excluding Pendo Feedback data) to your Amazon S3 account. This article describes how to set up Data Sync with Amazon S3 using IAM user access keys. Alternatively you can set up Data Sync with Amazon S3 using IAM roles.
- Data Sync is a paid feature. Contact your Pendo representative for access.
- You must be a subscription admin in Pendo to set up a cloud storage destination as part of this process.
- The user must have
putObjectpermissions in S3.
Data Sync with Amazon S3 is set up in Pendo and configured in your S3 account. Setting up Data sync with Amazon S3 using IAM user access keys involves the following steps:
- Create an S3 bucket.
- Create a folder in your S3 bucket.
- Generate an access key for your service account.
- Choose a provider in Pendo.
- Enter your service account access key and bucket URL in Pendo.
For a production setting, you should create a service account that isn't tied to an individual person. For internal development of testing, you can use your AWS personal account so long as it's tied to the Pendo organization.
Step 1. Create an S3 bucket
Pendo data is copied to an S3 bucket. To create an S3 bucket:
- Navigate to the AWS Management Console.
- Open the Amazon S3 Console and choose Buckets.
- Choose Create bucket at the top right of the page.
- Create a meaningful name for your S3 bucket.
- Follow the workflow to set the appropriate settings for your S3 bucket.
- Select Create bucket at the bottom of the form.
Step 2. Create a folder in your S3 bucket
While in the bucket you just created for Step 1:
- Select Create folder.
- Create a meaningful name for your folder.
- Follow the workflow to set the appropriate settings for your S3 folder.
- Select Create folder at the bottom of the form.
Step 3. Generate an access key
If you don't already have an access key associated with your account, you must generate one to add to your Data Sync destination in Pendo. To generate this key:
- Navigate to the AWS Management Console.
- Select your account from the top right and select Security Credentials.
- Under Access Keys, select Create access key.
- Choose a description tag value and then select Create access key.
- Save the secret access key provided or download the .csv file with the credentials. You won't see this again. You need this for Step 5.
- Select Done.
Step 4. Choose a provider in Pendo
Before you can send data to your storage bucket, you must set a target destination in Pendo.
- In Pendo, navigate to Settings > Data Management.
- Select the Bulk Exports tab at the top and then Set Up Destination.
- Hover over the Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) tile in the panel that slides out on the right, and then Choose destination.
Step 5. Configure your S3 account destination in Pendo
The final step is to upload the service account key and provide the bucket name to Pendo.
- Enter your bucket URL. You can find this in the Properties tab of your Data Sync bucket created in S3 > Buckets > Bucket Name > Folder Name. Copy the URL in the S3 URI column of the Folder overview table.
- Enter your secret access key. You should have this saved from Step 3, either as a CSV file or manually copied.
- If you downloaded the CSV file with your credentials, select Upload CSV file to upload it here.
- If you want to manually enter the service account and secret key, first enter your Access Key, which is found in the Properties tab of your Data Sync bucket created in Access Keys > IAM > Security Credentials. Then, enter the Secret Access Key you saved in Step 3.
- Select Validate Destination to test the credentials you entered.
- When successfully validated, select Create Destination.
There are two ways to update your credentials after you've configured an S3 destination in Pendo:
- Manually rotate credentials through the Pendo UI.
- Automatically rotate your credentials through the public API.
To use the public API endpoint for rotating Data Sync credentials, you must have an integration key with write access.
Through the Pendo UI
- In Pendo, navigate to Settings > Data Sync.
- Select Manage Destination in the top-right corner of the page.
- Provide new credentials either with a JSON file or by manually entering new credentials.
Through the public API
- Generate a new Pendo integration key using the instructions outlined in the Pendo integration key article.
- In our public API documentation, navigate to Data Sync > Rotate Credentials for S3 Destination.
- Follow the instructions on how to use the public API endpoint to rotate your cloud storage credentials.