This article explains how Pendo integrates with Twilio Segment (herein, Segment) to send data to Pendo. If you're looking for information related to segmenting your visitors and accounts in Pendo, read the article on Segments.
Segment is a Customer Data Platform (CDP) that combines data from multiple tools to create a centralized customer database that simplifies the overall data collection process. If you have Segment installed in your application, you can add Pendo to the same application through Segment. This allows you to send data in Segment to Pendo and other integrated tools.
This replaces the standard Pendo implementation method outlined in the Developer's guide to implementing Pendo using the install script.
How it works
A standard Segment implementation involves sending user and account information to Segment. You can pass that data on to Pendo with no additional coding by adding Pendo Web (Actions) as a destination in Segment to forward data to.
The setup involves copying and pasting your Pendo API key into Segment settings. After the destination is set up, Segment uses the API key to initialize Pendo in your application.
Step 1. Find and copy your Pendo API key
To find your Pendo API key:
- Navigate to Settings > Subscription Settings.
- Open the Applications tab.
- Find and open the relevant app from your Applications list. The App Details tab is open by default. For information about the settings in this page, see Web application settings.
- Under Basic Settings, find and copy the value for API Key.
You can also find the API key from the Install Settings tab. The key is the string at the bottom of your install script.
Step 2. Add the Pendo Web (Actions) destination
Add Pendo as a destination from the Segment application.
- From your Segment workspace, select Add destination. You can find this option on the Connections home page, from the Destinations list, or from a Source overview page.
- Find and select the Pendo Web (Actions) destination in the Catalog. This opens a destination summary page.
- Select Add destination.
- Choose which existing Source in Segment should send data to the Pendo Web (Actions) destination.
- Select Confirm source. This opens Basic Settings.
- Complete all required fields in the Basic Settings, including the Name, Pendo API Key, and Region.
- Optionally, enter a CNAME content host. If you are using Pendo’s CNAME feature, this updates your Pendo install script with your content host.
- If not already enabled, enable the destination so that it begins receiving data.
By default, Pendo creates data mappings that forward Segment’s Identify, Track, and Group Events to Pendo. For information about these presets, see Segment.com integration overview.
These mappings can be turned off in Settings > Data Mappings. For more information, see Configure visitor and account metadata.