This article is an overview of the functionality you can get from the two-way HubSpot integration with Pendo, and how it works. For information about how to set up the integration, see Set up the two-way HubSpot integration.
This integration is different from the one-way HubSpot integration that preceded the two-way HubSpot integration. For information about the one-way HubSpot integration, see HubSpot integration (legacy).
The two-way HubSpot integration with Pendo provides a holistic view of your product usage and customer engagement in Pendo and HubSpot, respectively. With this integration, you can set up the connection between HubSpot and Pendo to do one or both of the following:
- Pull HubSpot information, such as account history and revenue, into Pendo to provide additional data points for segmentation, analytics, and guide-targeting.
- Push Pendo visitor data, account data, or both into HubSpot to help customer-facing and marketing teams get a more complete view of customers.
Broadly, “pull” refers to the process of collecting inbound data from hubSpot to Pendo, and “push” refers to the process of sending outbound data from Pendo to HubSpot. Pulling HubSpot information into Pendo enables more segmentation, allowing you to use HubSpot properties to filter analytics and target guides. Pushing Pendo usage analytics into HubSpot provides additional data for your teams that are in HubSpot, but aren’t necessarily in Pendo.
- An active Pendo subscription.
- Admin user permissions in Pendo.
- Access to the HubSpot integration.
- An active HubSpot account with read and write access to the HubSpot API.
By pulling HubSpot data into Pendo, you can use CRM data to:
- Target guides based on your customer segments and marketing campaigns.
- Report on product usage by customer tiers, pricing, or account status.
- Combine product insights in Pendo with trial conversion or upsells in HubSpot.
- Find the features and usage patterns that result in increased revenue.
By pushing Pendo data into HubSpot, you can:
- Build a more complete view of customer interactions and use this insight to improve customer satisfaction and retention.
- Create targeted outreach campaigns, identify sales opportunities, and build customer relationships based on product usage and sentiment data.
- Use behavior data to optimize and automate your marketing strategies through action-based workflows.
How it works
The HubSpot integration involves setting up a connection (mapping) before setting up either or both a push and a pull between Pendo and HubSpot. Both mapping and setting up a push and pull involve selecting fields belonging to the visitor and account objects in Pendo or properties belonging to the contacts and companies objects in HubSpot, but for different purposes.
For mapping, you select:
- One HubSpot contact property with values that match one-to-one with Pendo Visitor IDs.
- One HubSpot company property with values that match one-to-one with Pendo Account IDs.
- For setting up a pull, you select one or more HubSpot properties to add to Pendo as visitor and account metadata.
- For setting up a push, you select one or more Pendo fields to send to HubSpot, bundled as properties into a "property group".
After mapping objects and setting up a push or pull, you must then enable the integration to start automated daily syncs.
Pendo data is grouped into two objects: a visitor object and an account object. These objects provide two possible bidirectional connections with the following HubSpot objects: contacts and companies.
- Visitors in Pendo connect with contacts in HubSpot.
- Accounts in Pendo connect with companies in HubSpot.
Before setting up a push or pull, you must first map Pendo objects to HubSpot objects. The data associated with Pendo objects are called "fields". The data associated with HubSpot objects are called "properties". For each Pendo object you want to connect with HubSpot, you must map the individual property of a HubSpot object to the corresponding Pendo object. This is the "Join Key".
- The Pendo Visitor ID field should map to the matching HubSpot Contacts property. For example, if you've set the Visitor ID in Pendo to be email, choose the "Email" property.
- The Pendo Account ID field should map to the matching HubSpot Companies property. This is typically something like "Company ID".
At this point, you're only setting up the connection between unique identifiers, not a pull or push. The unique identifiers are used for setting up both the pull and push functionalities, but the fields themselves aren't involved in a push or pull. Rather, the values of the fields that belong to the Pendo and HubSpot objects, chosen during the pull and push setup process, are pulled and pushed.
Pendo doesn't create a company or contact in HubSpot. You can only connect an account in Pendo to an existing company in HubSpot and a visitor in Pendo to an existing contact in HubSpot.
Setting up a "pull"
Pulling HubSpot data into Pendo involves selecting HubSpot properties belonging to one or both of the contacts or companies objects to add as metadata to visitors and accounts (respectively) in Pendo. You can use the resulting visitor and account metadata for segmentation in guides and analytics, and add these to your reports to view your CRM data in Pendo.
Setting up a "push"
Pushing Pendo data into HubSpot involves selecting one or more Pendo visitor and account fields to send as properties in HubSpot. The fields you can push to HubSpot include:
- First Visit. The date of the visitor or account's first activity in Pendo.
- Last Visit. The date of the visitor or or account's last activity in Pendo.
- Usage Trending. The percentage change in activity between the last 180 days and the 180 days before that.
- Latest NPS Response. The latest numerical response for a selected NPS survey. For a visitor push, the latest numerical response 1-10 is sent. For an account push, an average of NPS results from the past 180 days is sent.
- Days Active. Number of days within the last 180 days that the visitor or account has been active in the application.
- Time on App. Number of minutes that the visitor or account spent in the application within the last 180 days.
- # of Total Visitors (account push only). Number of visitors belonging to an account.
The fields you push are bundled together into a Pendo “property group” in HubSpot, allowing HubSpot users to see what properties were created from Pendo fields.
Duplicate contacts and companies
If multiple HubSpot contacts or companies map to a single Pendo visitor or account, respectively, we remove all versions of the duplicate from the sync. This means that neither the Pendo visitor or account nor the HubSpot contact or company is updated.