This article explains how to activate guide steps on different pages using Pendo, so that you can create a walkthrough experience that starts on one page but displays tooltips on another.
Use case: This method can be leveraged when you need to lead users through a multi-step process that begins with an action on one page but requires detailed guidance to commence on another page.
Configure a walkthrough guide
- Create a walkthrough guide in Pendo.
- Define your target user segment for the walkthrough to ensure its relevance.
- Set the activation method to Element Click and select the specific button or element on the initial page that will trigger the walkthrough.
- Confirm that the activation was set to the correct target element.
Create a hidden starting step
- Navigate to the page where the button or element triggering the walkthrough is located.
- Generate a new step using the Banner type, and select the Blank theme to keep it hidden from user view.
- Ensure the backdrop option under styling is disabled.
- Add a code block to your step.
- In the CSS tab, add the following rule:
Create a visible guide step
- Go to the page where you intend to display the walkthrough guide and add a new step.
- Customize this step to match the specific context of the user's journey on this page.
Test the walkthrough
Your walkthrough is now set up to start from a button click on one page and also effectively deliver guidance on another. To ensure a seamless experience, it is highly recommended to test the walkthrough and its transitions between pages.