This article covers the process to auto-install the Pendo Launcher extension on the Chrome web browser on a Windows computer using Microsoft Intune, which involves:
- Pushing an administrative template to end-user devices (steps 1-3).
- Validating that the installation was successful (Step 4).
The installation process doesn’t identify the visitors (end-users) or include metadata about them. Pair this installation with a follow-up configuration to identify visitors to Pendo. You can find a list of these options in the Deploying the Pendo Launcher.
For complete documentation on using Intune to push administrative templates, see Microsoft's article: Using the settings catalog.
This installation method isn't compatible with the Google Admin console method of extension installation, even for other non-Pendo extensions. If you already use Google Admin console for managing Chrome extensions, you must use that method for the Pendo Launcher as well.
We refer to the Chrome extension ID as the extension ID. The extension ID for the Pendo Launcher is the same for all customers: epnhoepnmfjdbjjfanpjklemanhkjgil. This extension ID is referenced later in the installation process. It's used by the browser to identify which extension should be installed.
The extension ID can also be found in the Chrome Web Store listing of the Pendo Launcher: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/pendo-launcher/epnhoepnmfjdbjjfanpjklemanhkjgil
Step 1. Create a configuration profile
- Sign in to the Microsoft Intune admin center.
- Navigate to Devices > Configuration Profiles.
- Select + Create profile above the Search bar.
- In the settings for your new profile, select Windows 10 and later as the platform and Settings Catalog as the Profile type.
- Select Create in the bottom-left corner of the form.
- In the Basics tab, enter a meaningful name and (optionally) a description.
Select Next to open the Configuration settings (Step 2).
Step 2. Configure your new profile
- In the Configuration settings tab, select + Add settings. This opens a settings pane.
- Navigate to Google > Google Chrome > Extensions and select Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions.
- Close the settings pane.
- Use the toggle to enable your newly added setting.
- Enter the following Pendo Launcher extension ID into the input box:
- Select Next to open the Scope tags tab (Step 3).
Step 3. Complete the profile creation workflow
- If your organization uses scope tags, adjust them in the Scope tags tab. For full documentation on scope tags, see Microsoft's article: Use role-based access control (RBAC) and scope tags for distributed IT.
- Select Next to continue to the Assignments tab.
- In the Assignments tab, add the required deployment users, devices, and groups. We recommend targeting the deployment to a single device that you can access and validate before rolling Pendo out to larger employee groups.
- Select Next to continue to the Review + create tab.
- In the Review + create tab, confirm that the settings match what you expect from your prior inputs.
- Select Create.
Step 4. Validate the installation
Pendo recommends gradual rollout of the installation, beginning with a device that you have physical access to. Once the configuration profile is pushed to a given device, confirm its presence to validate your deployment process, and then confirm that the extension is installed to validate the content of your configuration.
Confirm the presence of the configuration profile
- On your targeted Windows device, open the registry editor. To do this, in the search box on the taskbar, enter
regedit, then select Registry Editor (Desktop app) from the results.
- Navigate to the registry key location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForceList
- Check that there is a key with the following value:
Confirm the extension is force-installed in the browser
Once you've confirmed that the registry key is present, validate that the content is formatted correctly by checking that the browser correctly force-installs the extension.
- Open the Chrome app on a device that has the configuration profile present. If the app is already running, quit and re-open it.
- In your browser, navigate to the following page by copying and pasting the following exact text into your URL bar: chrome://extensions.
- Find the Pendo Launcher, listed under Extensions. If the Pendo Launcher extension is present, then the configuration profile was deployed successfully.