Guide Metrics provides detailed usage metrics for an individual Guide within Guide Details. These metrics surface data on views, Visitors, time, polls, element clicks, and other Guide activity within that Guide. With this data you can get a comprehensive understanding of which users are seeing your Guide content, how they're consuming that content, and outcomes resulting from their usage.
You can access the Guide Details page by clicking on a Guide in the Guide Overview List. The Guide Details page includes several sections: Settings, Metrics, and Poll Responses when relevant. Guide Metrics are also available for Announcements by opening their Guide Details in the Announcements Module in the Resource Center.
The Metrics tab includes several sections that filter and surface Guide usage data.
- Top Stats
- Guide Views
- Time on Guide
- Visitors per Guide Step
- Guide Elements
- Guide Activity
- Pendo Agent v2.69.1 or greater
- Guides created with Visual Design Studio
- Guide content created with Building Blocks, not Code Blocks
Note: "Exclude Text Collection" in Subscription Settings blocks Pendo from seeing the name of Guide elements. These elements are displayed in the Guide Elements table with the element ID programmatically assigned by Pendo.
Filters control the data being displayed in the charts and tables. Control the Segment of users, data range, and which language version of the Guide if you're using Localization for Guide translation.
This selector is sticky at the top of page when scrolling so you can easily make changes to your selections while looking at each chart.
- Segment - Everyone is the default selection. Pick other Segments to see how the Guide has impacted different user groups or create a new Segment to investigate a new group.
- Date Range - Restricts the Guide Event data to the selected date range. Pre-defined ranges for Since Guide Creation, Today, Yesterday, Last 7/30/60/90/180 Days, and Custom Date up to 1 year are available.
- Languages - All languages configured in the app are available even if they aren't translated.
The Top Stats chart highlights the key metrics for analyzing Guide reach and consumption.
- First Time Views - The first time the Guide is displayed to a Visitor
- Total Views - First time and repeat views (a Guide will continue to display until it is dismissed even if it can't be manually activated)
- Visitor Ratio - The number of Visitors who have seen the Guide out of the total number of eligible Visitors in the Guide's target Segment (eligible Visitors can be filtered further with the Segment filter)
- Average Time on Guide - The mean average time the Guide was displayed excluding outliers
- Median Time on Guide - The median average time the Guide was displayed excluding outliers
Tips: View and Visitor counts only show events within the Date Range. Set the Date Range to Since Guide Creation to see the total number of views and Visitors for the life of the Guide. The Visitors count includes repeat views and maybe not equal first time views with a restricted date range.
Duplicate the Guide's target Segment and add a rule for "[Your Guide] seen never" to investigate the eligible Visitors who have not seen your Guide yet. Be careful not to edit the Segment the Guide is using for targeting.
Average time on Guide is an indication of whether Visitors are engaging with content or racing to the Dismiss button. The average time should meet your expectation based on the length and complexity of the content. Extremely low times likely indicate users aren't really looking at your content and you should reconsider the content or activation.
The Guide Views chart shows a bar chart of total views broken down by first time views and repeat views. The visualization can be adjusted in the drop down menus to show weekly or monthly view totals and number of views or number of unique Visitors. + Add Feature adds Feature usage data from your tagged Features to the chart with your Guide View data. Click on a data element in the footer to toggle it on and off in the chart.
Select tagged Features from the + Add Feature button to add Feature click data to the Guide Views chart. You can select multiple Features at once then click out of the dropdown menu to add them to chart and process the new data. Core Events are prioritized in the searchable pick list with all other Features listed below. There is no limit to the number of Features that can be added but too many Features can clutter the visualization and the Y axis will adjust to accommodate the number of Feature clicks.
Feature Overlay provides insight into how the Guide has affected Feature usage. If a Guide has been built to launch a Feature or direct users to an existing Feature, it's important to track the impact your content has had on actual usage.
The Poll section shows a summary of all poll questions, question types, total views, total number of responses, and the Guide Step where the poll question displays. Click on a poll question to see the detailed poll responses. This section only displays if the Guide has a poll.
Time On Guide
The Time on Guide chart shows the average time the Guide displayed per Guide view grouped into 3 second increments from 0 to 30+ seconds. Hover over each bar shows the number of views for that time increment. Average time calculations exclude outliers that exceed the average time on Guide by more than 10 minutes.
For Multistep Guides, the Time on Guide chart shows the average time per Guide step first. Hover over a Step to see the average time and total views.
Click on a Step to see the breakdown of average time per on that Guide step view grouped into 3 second increments.
Visitors Per Guide Step
The Visitors Per Guide Step chart shows the number of Visitors who saw each step of a multistep Guide. Hover over a bar to see the number of Visitors for each step and the percentage of total Visitors who have seen that step.
Click on a step to open a slide out with a Visitor list that includes the Visitors who have seen that step and those who have not seen that step from the current Guide target and filter Segments. Export a CSV of either list to create a Segment of those Visitors or analyze them outside of Pendo.
The Guide Elements table shows the usage of Building Block elements in a Guide. The table includes the name of the element, type, button action, number of clicks, and percentage of clicks per step. For a multistep Guide, toggle if elements are grouped by step or shown in a single list view.
Deleted elements are elements that Pendo has usage data for but are not present in the current version of the Guide. They can be toggled on and off to see the complete history of Guide element usage. The deleted element may display as Unknown if the deleted element was on an older version of the Pendo agent or text collection is disabled for the subscription and the element name cannot be identified.
- Close Button
- Button Building Blocks and all associated actions
- Links in Markdown Text
Button Actions - Table Values
- Next Step - Next Step
- Previous Step - Previous Step
- URL Link - External Link with URL
- Dismiss - Dismiss
- Go to Step - Advanced to step # and step name
- Snooze Guide - Snoozed with time duration
- Submit All Polls + Advance - Polls Submitted & Next Step
- Submit All Polls + Go to Step - Polls submitted & advanced to step # and step name
- Launch Guide - Launch Guide with Guide name
Click on the number of clicks in the table to open a slide out with lists for the Visitors and Accounts who used that element. Export a CSV of either list to create a Segment of those Visitors or analyze them outside of Pendo. The CSV includes the element name, element ID, type, step ID, step name, action, number of clicks, percentage of clicks, and active status of the element.
Note: Every Building Block has multiple unique IDs for each element in the HTML. Most Building Blocks have static IDs but Text Building Blocks have dynamic IDs that change each time the Text Building Block is opened to account for different versions of text. Links in markdown text are identified by a dynamic unique ID that changes when its Text Building Block is changed. This creates a new Link element in the Guide Elements table. The previous version of the Link and all usage data is still available as a Deleted Element.
The Guide Activity table shows all Guide Events in chronological order grouped by Visitor or in a continuous list. In the By Visitor view, expand a Visitor's usage to all of their events in chronological order with the most recent status at the top.
The default columns include the Visitor ID, number of views, time on Guide, Status, and date and time. Multistep Guides also include progress through each Guide step and time on step. The table can be customized to include any of the product usage data or metadata available in a Visitor report to provide additional context for user behavior. Click on a Visitor in the table to open their Visitor Details page in a new tab.
Guide Status is the outcome of a user seeing a Guide. The status indicates if the user closed the Guide, if they interacted with any elements, or ignored it entirely.
Guide Status List
- Action Taken - The Visitor interacted with the Guide and advanced it with buttons or other behavior that would cause the Guide to advance. Submit Poll button actions result in this status.
- Advanced - This status only occurs in multistep Guides when a Visitor advances off of Step 1. If the Guide is activated automatically it may be shown to the Visitor again until they dismiss or complete the walkthrough. If the Visitor navigates away from the Guide without closing it and then returns to the last seen step in the Guide, it will display automatically for up to 10 minutes from the last advance event. After 10 minutes the Guide will reset and show the first step.
- Button Clicked - Visitor clicked on a Button created with a Building Block.
- Close Button Clicked - Visitor clicked the "X" Close Button. An automatic Guide will not be shown to the Visitor again.
- Closed - Visitor closed the Guide with a Dismiss action. An automatic Guide will not be shown to the Visitor again.
- Completed - This status only occurs in multistep Guides when a Visitor has fully progressed through all of the steps without dismissing the Guide.
- Displayed - Guide was presented to the Visitor and they did not take any action to advance or dismiss the Guide. If the Guide is set to display automatically, it will be presented to them again.
- Snoozed - Guide was temporarily dismissed by Snooze button action.
To learn more about the Guide Details page for the Visual Design Studio, check out these articles: