The Pendo Platform-Zapier integration is currently in beta and early access is controlled by an invitation link (Pendo-Zapier Invitation). Detailed instructions on setting up the integration are in this article. Selecting the wrong Pendo version in Zapier or entering an incorrect integration key will result in a failed integration. Follow the instructions carefully.
Pendo Feedback is a public app in Zapier and does not use the invitation link. Read the Zapier Integration Setup with Feedback article for information on the Feedback-Zapier integration.
Pendo’s integration with Zapier makes it super easy to take action on everything a user does in your product. By leveraging over 2000 Zapier supported apps, you’re able to connect to many products and use Pendo data to trigger actions in other apps.
To use this integration you will need:
- Admin User permission for your Pendo subscription
- API Access enabled to generate an integration key
- If you do not have Admin access, reach out to your Pendo Admin and they are able to adjust your permissions.
- If you do not have integration key access, please reach out to your Pendo Representative.
How it works
Pendo Segments and Reports
For every action you want to automate with Zapier, you need to tell it which Accounts or Visitors the automation should apply to. This is done usingSegments. The Segment rules define which Visitors will end up on the report, and the report defines the Visitors and associated data that will end up in Zapier.
When you make a Zap (Zapier’s term for workflow), you will link a Pendo report to Zapier. When this happens, Zapier goes into Pendo and takes a snapshot of the report and the Visitors who appear on it. It uses this snapshot as the foundation for automating actions moving forward.
Note: Zapier is not intended to be used for one-time, bulk, actions. If you’re looking to bulk email users, you should simply download the Visitor report as a .csv file and upload it to the email client of your choice. Zapier is intended to automate future activity so that you do not have to manually do it each time.
Depending on your plan level, Zapier will go into the report every 5 to 15 minutes and look for any new additions to the list. If it finds a Visitor that was not there last time it checked, it will fire off the next step of the Zap. If it does not find any new Visitors, it will not do anything and will check the report again in 5 to 15 minutes. This process repeats itself indefinitely according to your Zapier plan limits.
Configure Pendo-Zapier Integration
Create Pendo Integration Key
Before heading over to Zapier, set up an integration key in Pendo.
1. Click on Integrations in Settings.
2. Click the Integrations Keys tab to create new integration keys.
3. Click + Add Integration Key and give the integration key a name, like "Zapier", then click Create.
Now that you’ve generated an integration key, go to Zapier and create a free account or log into your existing account.
Link Pendo and Zapier
The Pendo<>Zapier integration is invite-only. you won’t be able to find Pendo in Zapier’s dashboard until you’ve clicked the invitation link.
1. Click this invitation link and then click Accept the Invite & Build a Zap.
Now that you have access, you need to link your Pendo subscription to Zapier using the integration key you created in Integration Keys. You'll do that while making your first Zap.
2. Click Make a Zap or Create Zap on the Zapier dashboard. You'll be prompted to choose a trigger app.
3. Search for Pendo and Select Pendo (2.0.0). The 1.X version numbers are previous version of the integration and will not work.
4. Select a trigger. Visitor in Report, which pulls from Visitor Reports, or Account in Report, which pulls from Account Reports, are the only available options.
5. Click Continue to link your Pendo and Zapier accounts.
6. Click Sign in to Pendo (2.0.0) to access the Zapier permissions page where you must enter the integration key generated in Pendo Integrations Key Settings.
7. Enter the integration key and Click Yes, Continue to connect Zapier with your Pendo subscription.
- US - app.pendo.io
- EU - app.eu.pendo.io
That’s it! Your Zapier account and Pendo are connected. Pendo (2.0.0) will be available as a trigger app when creating Zaps.
Pulling Pendo Data into Zapier
After connecting Zapier and Pendo, you are prompted to select a Pendo (2.0.0) account.
1. Select Pendo (2.0.0) host=app.pendo.io and click Continue.
2. Customize Visitor (or Account if you select Account in Report as the trigger) prompts you to choose the report ID that will be used to fire the Zap.
3. Choose a Report ID and click Continue. The dropdown menu will populate with the Visitor or Account reports from Pendo.
4. Test your trigger to run a Zapier query for Pendo data and confirm that the correct account and report are being used.
5. Confirm the Visitor or Account data that Zapier found by querying your Visitor or Account Report.
6. Continue to Step 2 and build your Zap! Your Pendo integration is working and you're pulling Pendo data to trigger your Zap. Use your Pendo report data to activate any of Zapier's other integrated apps and events. If you need ideas, check out our Zapier Recipes.
Errors and Recommendations
If you are receiving errors with the Zapier integration, check below for troubleshooting recommendations.
Invalid Integration Key (403)
If you receive the following error while trying to authenticate your Pendo account with Zapier, it means the integration key wasn’t valid. Double check the key to make sure it matches the one you generated in Pendo. If it is not an exact match, it will not authenticate.
Read timed out
"Your Zap titled ‘Zap Name’ has been turned off because we’re getting repeated errors nearly every time we try to run it."
This is due to a 30 second timeout set in Zapier. To alleviate this issue, try shortening your report’s date range in Pendo. If you still continue to encounter issues, reach out to technical support by submitting a ticket.
Invite-only App Throttling
"When using an invite-only app, you may encounter an error like
Dev app App12345API (AppNameHere) throttled (100 script executions per 30 seconds), contact support. This is due to a built-in limit for preventing spam for non-public apps."
Pendo<>Zapier is not a public integration and is subject to throttling. This slows down the speed at which Zaps are being executed but does not stop them from firing. Change the Pendo report or details of the Zap and reduce the volume of Zap triggers to stop receiving this error message and prevent throttling if necessary.
Zapier Flood Protection and Held Items
"If you have a large number of items (100+) that trigger in a Zap at once, Zapier holds them for you and sends you an email requesting your confirmation. This helps prevent a significant number of tasks being performed by mistake, which helps keep your task usage down and prevents tedious work correcting any unintended results in the action service.
When released, these tasks will be processed the rate of 1 per second. So 1,000 tasks would take a little over 15 minutes to clear out after releasing."
This error can be resolved by confirming the tasks in the automatic email sent by Zapier. If you have issues with Flood Protection, contact Zapier support to troubleshoot.