The Announcements module delivers Announcement Guides using a list view in the Resource Center. Announcements can be used for in-app communication and notifications that are always available to users but not as direct as a lightbox or tooltip. Announcements work great for new feature releases, release notes, system events, or promotions. The Resource Center badge and Announcements module have a notification that alerts users to the number of unread Announcements. Segments can be applied to the module or individual Announcements to target communications to certain user groups. Announcements use the same styling and customization features available to Guides in the Visual Design Studio. Build your Announcements using images or GIFs, add a text description, and finish with a link or button to more information or a Guide walkthrough.
- Pendo Admin Users must add the Announcements module to the Resource Center
- Pendo Users with Create Guides from layouts or from scratch can create new Announcements
- Active Resource Center
- Agent version 2.18.4 or higher is required to access the Announcements module
Add the Module
Building a New Resource Center
To create a brand new Resource Center, click on the “+ Create Resource Center” button on the page.
Choose the “Announcements” module (1) and click on “Add Modules” (2).
Next, you should see a preview of your Draft state that shows you the “Home View” (or the main Resource Center menu that your end users will see) and your “Announcements” Module.
Adding a Module to an Existing Resource Center
While in your Draft state, hover of the “Home View” preview to see the “Add Module” button.
Then, you should see the Modules chooser to select the “Announcements” module (1):
Then, Click on “Add Modules” (2) to see it added in your preview:
Hover over the module preview to navigate to the “Announcements” Module Details Page and create your first Announcements Guide.
Module Details Page
Similar to other Resource Center modules, you will see a similar interface to manage your module. For the Announcements Module, you will see the following options:
- Change your module name by clicking on the header
- Delete your module, Manage your module in app (designer), and create a new Announcement
- See and manage any existing Announcements (Content Section)
- Segment section so you can make your module visible to just a specific group of users
Create a New Announcement
To start, click on the “Create New Announcement.”
Then, just like creating a Guide in Visual Design Studio, choose your desired Announcements layout:
Once you choose your layout, you will land on your Announcement Details Page in a new tab.
Edit your Announcement by opening it in the Visual Designer. To do this, choose from one of these options:
- Click on “Manage In My App” in the Content section
- Hover over your Announcement preview to reveal the “Manage In My App” option
Also like the Guide creation experience, you will be prompted to enter your app’s URL. Click on the “Launch Designer” button when ready.
Designer Interface Overview
Once the Visual Designer opens, you will see all the similar user interface:
- At the top, Action Bar including: Save as Layout, Exit & Save buttons, move Action Bar up or down
- Floating and movable edit options (Editing your Announcements container will be the default edit options when you open your Announcement in the designer)
- In the bottom right-hand side, you will see a preview of your Announcement in your Resource Center.
Edit Your Announcement
Your editing experience is also similar to creating a Guide in the Visual Design Studio. Each announcement is made up of Building Blocks. The following Building Blocks are available for Announcements:
- Multi Button
- YouTube Video
- Custom Code
You can access the Building Blocks menu by placing your cursor inside a Guide and clicking on the blue horizontal line that appears. It will look like this:
If you want to edit any existing elements that are already in your selected layout, hover over the element to reveal the “Edit” icon and click on it.
Edit your Announcement as you desire and save your changes once you’re satisfied with your edits.
Stage or Test Your Announcement
Before you make your Announcement Public to your users, stage or test it to see how your users might experience it. To do this, make sure to segment your Announcement to yourself. You can achieve this by creating a rule with VisitorID equals yourself (“Yourself” refers to your actual VisitorID that’s setup in Pendo. For some, it’s email address and others might have randomized alpha-numeric set of characters).
If you have a staging environment setup, change the Announcement status to “Staged.”
Publish Your Announcement
If you’re satisfied with your Announcement after you tested it, navigate back to the Details Page to re-adjust the segment to the correct audience.
To publish your Guide, you have two options to choose from:
- Publish your Guide now by updating the Guide status to Public.
- Schedule when your Guide will go live (and, if needed, when it will no longer be active).
Once you’re done with your Announcement, you will see it listed under “Content” in your Announcements Module details page.
From there, you will be able to click on the name of your Announcement to enter the individual Details Page again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add my existing “What’s New” Guides from my Guide Center?
Announcements were formerly known as “What’s New” Guides in our Classic Designer. If you have existing What’s New Guides, you can add them to your Announcements module.
1. Click the Add Announcement dropdown arrow and click Choose from existing in the Announcements module in the Resource Center.
2. Select the existing What's New guide in the Content menu. Type to search or find the guide in the dropdown menu.
3. Save Changes to the module. The What's New guides will immediately display in the Announcements module. Republishing the Resource Center is not required.
Can I add multiple Announcements Modules to My Resource Center?
Yes. Like other Resource Center modules, you can add multiple Announcements type modules and segment each module as desired.
Can I style an individual announcement via CSS?
Yes. You can add a custom code block to style or code as you need.
Can I localize my Announcements?
Yes. If you have localization enabled, you will be able to localize your Announcement just like a Visual Design Studio Guide. However, if you have media (ie. links, images, or even custom code) in your announcement, you won’t be able to localize those elements at this time.
What if I have a module with no content?
If you have a module with no content and push the updates to production, the module will not display to your end users.
Do I need to disable my old Guide Center before enabling the Resource Center?
Yes. Be sure to disable the Guide Center first before pushing the Resource Center to Production. Pushing the new Resource Center doesn’t disable the Guide Center automatically. However, you will be able to edit the Resource Center in "Draft" or "Staging" states so you can prepare for the switch as you need.
How do I disable the Guide Center from Production domains?
To disable the Guide Center, first navigate to the in-app Classic designer and click on “Global Settings” at the top-right. In the new menu, click on “Guide Center” and perform the following steps:
- Disable all of the sections shown
- Click “Save” at the bottom
- Re-open the “Global Settings” and click on “Copy to Production.”