Pendo Feedback provides role-based permissions that control which features your internal team members can use, including how much data they can edit and update, whether they can communicate with your customers, and whether they can view data.
When you invite internal users into Feedback, you can assign them one of our default roles with predefined permissions, or create your own roles to adjust permissions. For information on the existing roles, see Default roles, below. If using custom roles, you must create these before you invite internal users.
You configure Feedback roles and permissions, and invite team users, in Feedback > Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team.
Users with particular permissions contribute to the seats in our seat-based pricing model. This pricing model allows you to add Pendo to more of your apps.
You’re only charged for users that are assigned to roles that use any of the following chargeable permissions:
- The ability to edit requests.
- The ability to change the status of requests.
- The ability to assign requests to team members.
- The ability to send emails to visitors.
Our default Feedback Manager and Administrator roles include some or all of these permissions (respectively), and so count as a “seat” in this pricing model. For more information, see Default roles.
Note: Current Feedback customers will move to the seat-based pricing model at renewal.
List of Permissions
Roles are managed in Feedback > Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team > Manage roles. Each role contains a set of permissions. These permissions are:
- Apps > App Settings. This permission allows team users to edit Apps in Feedback.
- Requests. This group of permissions allows team users to add, edit, and assign requests.
- Visitors. This group of permissions allows team users to send emails to visitors, create visitors in Feedback, and edit visitor records.
- Team. This group of permissions allows team users to invite co-workers, delete team user records, and edit team user records.
- Settings > Vendor Settings. This permission allows team users to customize customer-facing features, including branding, visitor names, timestamps, the request form, and status responses.
- Roadmaps > Edit Roadmaps. This permission allows team users to create, edit, and delete roadmaps.
- Product wide settings. This group of permissions allows team users to view the effort of requests, view financial data, and create new tags.
This permission allows team users to edit Apps in Feedback. Apps are managed in the global Pendo Settings. You need global Admin permissions in Pendo Settings to make any changes to Apps.
These permissions allow team users to do any, some, or all of the following with regards to request management:
- Change status. Change the status of a request. If emails are enabled, this status change will send an email notification out to all users subscribed to a request, including your customers.
- Suggest and import requests. Add new requests through the submission form or by importing them in a CSV file. Give internal users this permission to allow them to add permissions on behalf of customers and prospects.
- Assign requests to team members. Assign requests to co-workers.
- Edit comments. Edit and delete comments left by internal users or customer users.
- Edit requests, including:
- Request fields (title and description).
- Add and remove attachments, Apps, Product Areas, and tags.
- Make a request private.
- Merge requests.
- Delete a request.
- Set Effort. Note that you must also select Show effort in the Product wide settings group of permissions so that the user can see the effort bar to edit it.
These permissions allow team users to do any, some, or all of the following with regards to visitors:
- Send emails to visitors. This requires you to enable email notifications.
- Invite visitors. Manually create:
- Visitors. We strongly recommend that you only create visitors during testing, since manually created visitors aren’t linked to records created during installation or in Salesforce, and will therefore create duplicates.
- Prospects, which must be manually created unless you’re using Salesforce Opportunities to track demand.
- Edit visitors. Edit visitor records, including language settings, tags, priorities, and email settings.
Only Admins can be given Team permissions in Feedback. These permissions allow team users to do the following with regards to their co-workers:
- Invite team (Admins only). Invite co-workers to the Feedback app.
- Edit team (Admins only). Delete or edit team user records, including adding tags to a team member, editing their default language, and updating their email settings.
Choose Settings > Vendor Settings to allow team users access to Feedback’s Product Settings so that they can control how customers view Feedback and customize customer-facing features, including:
- Branding and appearance
- Visitor names
- Request forms
- Status responses
For a full list of settings that these permissions provide access to, see Settings for Pendo Feedback.
Allow team users to create, edit, and delete roadmaps. For more information, see Pendo Roadmap and Pendo Roadmap (Legacy).
Product wide settings
A set of permissions that allow you to choose whether team users can do any, some, or all of the following:
- Show effort bar. View the effort of requests, which is primarily used for the Effort vs. Value report. Note that this doesn't let you set or edit the effort, which you enable by selecting Edit requests in the Requests group of permissions.
- Show financial information. View financial data related to customers and prospects, such as ARR or opportunity value.
- Create new tags. Without this setting, the team user can only use tags that already exist. For more information on using tags, see Tagging in Feedback.
When you first invite team users to Feedback, you’re given some default roles to choose from:
- Feedback Manager
- Feedback Contributor
Important: Our seat-based pricing model only charges you for Administrator and Feedback Manager roles based on the permissions they include by default. The Feedback Contributor role can be added free of charge, unless you add any of the specific permissions outlined in Seat-based pricing, above.
You can customize these default roles by adding and removing permissions. For instructions, see Custom roles, below.
The Administrator role includes all permissions and the unique ability to invite and edit other team members. Feedback Administrators contribute to the number of seats in your seat-based pricing.
Feedback Manager role
By default, Feedback Managers contribute to the number of seats in your seat-based pricing. This role includes the following permissions. You can edit these permissions by following the instructions in Custom roles.
*Chargeable permissions included in the default Feedback Manager role. For a full list of chargeable permissions, see Seat-based pricing.
Feedback Contributor role
By default, Feedback Contributors can use Pendo Feedback free of charge. If you add any of the permissions listed under Seat-based pricing, this role becomes chargeable. Without any changes to the default, the Feedback Contributor role includes the following permissions, none of which are chargeable.
Create custom roles
If you want to use more than the default roles available to you, you can also customize an existing role or create a new one. Feedback Admins often create different roles based on team membership. For example, your Product Team might need more control than customer-facing teams that add requests on behalf of your visitors.
To create a custom role:
1. Navigate to Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team.
2. Select Manage roles at the top of the table.
3. Select an existing or default role from the Roles list to edit, or select Create role in the top-right to create a new role.
4. Edit the role:
- If editing an existing role, which can be a default role, adjust the name and the permissions as appropriate.
- If creating a new role, give your new role a name and select the permissions you want that role to consist of.
Caution: Remember that roles consisting of particular permissions contribute to the seats in your seat-based pricing. These permissions include:
- The ability to edit requests, change the status of requests, and assign requests to team members (configured in Requests).
- The ability to send emails to visitors (configured in Visitors)
5. Select Update or Add at the bottom-right of the page when you’re done.
Invite team members
Create your roles before inviting team members. For instructions, see Custom roles. Once you have all the roles you want to use:
1. Navigate to Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team.
2. Select Invite user in Pendo Settings in the top-right. This opens the main Pendo Settings page.
3. Select + Invite User in the main Pendo Settings page.
4. Enter the user's details (name and email address).
5. Define the user’s permissions for Insight and Guidance access.
Note: You can’t add a team user to Feedback without giving them access to Pendo’s Insights and Guidance platform. However, you can define different roles and permissions for each platform (step 5).
6. Choose a role from the Assign Feedback Access dropdown menu, which shows the default roles and any others you've created.
7. Select Invite User.
Following these steps, the new team user receives an email with instructions for activating their account.
Edit an existing role's permissions
To update the permissions of everyone with a particular role:
1. Navigate to Feedback > Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team > Manage roles.
2. Select the role you want to edit.
3. Make your changes and then select Update at the bottom of the form.
Update an existing user's role
To change an existing user’s role, locate and select the appropriate Team Member record in Feedback > Settings > Product Settings > Manage Team. You can also find users by selecting Invite user in Pendo Settings in the top-right, which opens the main Pendo Settings page.
Alternatively, use the global search bar at the top of the UI and select the Users tab. Once you've found and opened the user's profile:
1. Select Edit in the top-right corner of their profile card.
2. Select Edit in Pendo Settings to the top-right of the Role dropdown menu.
3. Search for the user and open their record.
4. Select Edit User in the window that appears.
5. Update the relevant permissions and select Save User in the bottom-right when you're done.