When sharing a URL in a Slack message, a short description and image often accompanies the message as a preview, which is referred to as link unfurling. These previews give users an idea of what to expect if they open the link, providing context and saving time if users decide the link is unhelpful.
You can configure a more customized and seamless experience by enabling link previews that allow users to see unfurled content from specific sections of the app without needing to open Pendo: Page, Feature, and Track Event details.
We support the connection of one Pendo subscription to one Slack instance.
This integration is different from our Slack integration for NPS responses and requires access to more than NPS poll data. If you've already set up the Slack for NPS integration in Pendo, you still need to follow the setup process outlined in this article. If you're looking for instructions on how to set up our Slack integration for NPS responses, see Slack Integration to Push NPS Responses.
How it works
After you enable link previews, Slack recognizes links for Page, Feature, and Track Event pages in Pendo, then sends your Slack app a corresponding event. The Slack integration unfurls a summary of these pages so that you see the data without needing to enter Pendo. All other links display a generic description of Pendo.
You need both Pendo admin access and Slack admin access to integrate Pendo with Slack and unfurl Pendo in Slack messages.
Enable link previews
- Navigate Settings > Integrations in Pendo.
- Find and select Slack. This opens a panel on the right side of the screen.
- Select Slack Link Preview from the Select an Integration dropdown menu at the top of the panel.
- At the bottom of the panel, select Add Slack Link Preview.
- If you have access to more than one Slack workspace, ensure that the correct workspace is selected in the dropdown menu in the top-right corner of the page. If you don’t have admin permissions in Slack, you get a message letting you know that you need to contact your Slack admin to set up the integration.
- Select Allow to authorize the integration and return to Pendo.
View link previews
After you connect your Slack instance to Pendo, links for Page, Feature, and Track Event details pages in Slack messages unfurl to show those specific pages in the Pendo app without taking the user away from Slack. Links include an ID at the end of your URL and look similar to the following URL structure:
When a user posts a message in Slack, Slack unfurls a summary.
Page details include timeframe (date range), segment, number of visitors, number of accounts, and average time spent on the Page.
Feature details include timeframe (date range), segment, number of visitors, number of accounts, and average number of clicks on the Feature.
Track Event details
Track Event details include timeframe (date range), segment, number of visitors, number of accounts, and number of events.
All other links display a generic description of Pendo to inform users about what Pendo is.