Important: This feature is in Beta using the SDK version 2.3.0 or higher.
Create a mobile Guide with multiple steps to create user experiences such as onboarding new users or introducing a new feature set. Once you create and deploy your multi-step Guides, see how many users completed the series of steps or viewed a specific step of your Guide.
Here's an example of a multi-step lightbox Guide - this guide is used to let the users know on the main features of your app upon first use:
An alternative is to onboard the users with a contextual tooltip tour, asking the user to undergo a specific flow in your app upon first use:
You can mix and match lightbox and tooltip steps to create the exact tour that fits your app.
After you installed the Pendo Mobile SDK, Pendo users will need one of the two following permissions to build a Guide in the Visual Design Studio:
- Pendo Administrator Permissions
- Pendo User Permissions with at least:
- Create Guides from Layouts
- Manage Published Guides
- Create Guides & Layouts from Scratch
How to Create Your Guide
1. Edit/Create a guide in the Visual Designer
2. Open the 'View Steps' drawer to "+ add step"
3. For a lightbox step, you can add a button with a 'Next Step' action to advance to the next step.
5. Always test your tour on your device before publishing.
- "Preview on device" is available for lightbox steps. The step will be shown on your device allowing you to fine-tune the visual design. Only the current step will be shown.
- Test the entire guide by selecting 'Test full flow on device' - this requires you to 'activate' the guide by the activation criteria to test the tour.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best-practices to keep in mind while building a multi-step Guide?
- We recommend building a Guide with a maximum of 5 steps. Although this isn't a restriction, we recommend it as a best practice to stay within an attention span without losing your user's interest or overwhelming your users.
- Brevity is your friend.
- In multi-step lightboxes, let the visuals illustrate your intention.
- In tooltips, use short text
- Onboard brand new users with full-screen guides before they are introduced to your app. This will help you focus your users before they get started.
- We recommend that each Guide step have similar branding (the same background color, font style, button styles, etc.) for a smooth visual experience.
- If you use a tooltip in any step of your Guide, test it on a physical device before deploying the Guide to your users.
- Decide whether you want to let your users opt-out of the tour
- In a new feature announcement, the last step can lead directly to the new feature's page (via an app's deep link)