You can use the votes in Ideas as the data source for defining a segment rule. The rule allows you to create a segment that contains the visitors who voted on an idea or set of ideas, as well as visitors that didn't vote on an idea or set of ideas.
Creating segments from idea voters in Validate allows you to target guides at specific visitors with in-app messaging. For example, you might want to provide product updates for an idea that voters are interested in or ask these voters to engage in follow-up research.
You can also use segments created from visitor votes in Pendo's analytics and reporting features. Creating segments from visitors that voted on an idea in Validate allows you to monitor feature adoption, by tracking whether those who voted on an idea then used the resulting feature.
As well as creating segments from visitors that voted on an idea, you can create segments from visitors that didn't vote on ideas. This allows you to encourage engagement with guides targeted only at these visitors.
Create a segment
There are two ways to create a segment from idea voters:
- From the Idea details in Validate.
- From the Segments page in Analytics.
Idea details in Validate
You can create a prepopulated segment based on an idea that you have open in Validate.
1. Navigate to Validate from the left-side menu.
2. Find and open an Idea that you want to base a segment on. This opens the idea in a panel on the right side of the page.
3. Select Create Segment at the bottom of the panel.
4. The first line of rules is prepopulated with information from the idea that you're building the segment from. Modify your segment as needed.
5. Select Create Segment in the bottom-right corner.
Segments page in Analytics
1. Navigate to People > Segments from the left-side menu.
2. Choose + Create Segment in the top-right of the page.
3. Create a name for your segment.
4. Select + Add Rules.
5. From the first dropdown menu, select Ideas as the data source for the rule.
6. From the second dropdown menu, choose the idea you'd like to base your segment on.
7. Modify your segment as needed.
8. Select Create Segment in the bottom-right corner.
Modify your segment
You can create segments from visitors that voted on ideas in Validate, and from visitors that didn't vote on ideas in Validate. When including visitors who have voted, you can specify whether you want to include visitors based on how important an idea was to them.
You can limit these segments to a specific timeframe. This allows you to target communication at people based on their level of engagement. The segment dynamically updates based on visitors that fit the criteria over time.
Multiple rules with the Ideas data source can be added to a segment using AND/OR logic. This allows you to create a segment of votes on multiple ideas, or to create a segment of users that voted on one idea and not another. You can also use a combination of other rule types.
For more information on creating segments, see the Segments article.