This article details how to tag features in your mobile application, and how to troubleshoot feature tagging.
Tag a new Feature
Tagging features can either be done when tagging a page or by accessing the designer via Manage Pages:
- Go to Pages and filter to your mobile app.
- Select the page you want to tag features on.
- Select Manage Page and start tagging your Features.
To tag a feature in your app, select any feature in the screenshot on the right. The feature will show up in a table on the left, where you can name it, group it, edit its attributes, and then save it.
To edit an existing tagged feature, see Editing an Existing Tagged Mobile Feature for more information.
Code-base solution for tagging Features
Note: Currently available for native iOS and Android apps, and React-Native apps only. We plan on adding this feature to Xamarin Forms in the future.
Pendo might not always recognize a feature in your apps. It can either render it as untaggable in Pendo, or it does show as taggable but doesn't show any analytics. Our code-based solution solves this problem by allowing your mobile developers to tag and get analytics for any feature using an API.
To implement this, your developer must set this up. See Setting up a code-based solution for Mobile Tagging.
Frequently asked questions
How are my features identified?
- A feature is always tagged in the context of a page.
- A rule is created for each tagged feature that relates to the "class" of the element, the element's text if such exists, its position in the list, its position on the page, and many other parameters.
- If a feature is not identified correctly, contact Pendo Support. so that we can modify the feature's rule to match your needs.
- Features will usually be identified correctly across your app versions. However, if you performed User Interface changes to your app and specifically changed button texts, you might need to Update the Mobile Page in order to make sure all features are identified correctly and fix the tagging if needed.
I hover above a feature, but more than one feature is highlighted instead of the desired one. What should I do?
We now highlight all matching features upon tag in order to prevent situations where Pendo's automatic feature-identifier (rule) isn't enough to distinguish between several features on the page. This means, that without refining the automatic rules, these features would count as the same feature.
To fix this, tag the first feature, refine its rules to be more specific to this feature, and then tag the other feature.
I can’t tag some of the features in my application. What do I do?
There are many ways to implement mobile buttons within an App and we are optimizing the way our SDK identifies features. However, if you’re unable to tag and receive analytics for specific mobile features, contact Pendo Support. A possible workaround is using Track Events to track specific features to collect that data.
Note: Pendo automatically tracks events for back button clicks on Android devices. This is relevant only when the app is in the foreground and in focus. These events are included in the path data, so you can see if the back button was clicked when navigating between pages. This event is not available for Guides and other analytics reports.
I stopped getting new analytics for some of the tagged pages. Why is that?
Have you released a new app version to the store recently? If some of your pages/features changed in the newly released app version, you can update them by Updating the Mobile Page.