For SDK 51 or 52 (v1) tagging tips please refer to our Screen Tagging Tips.
Tag A Feature
Tagging features can be done at the same time you tag its page, or separately, at any later time you choose.
When tagging a mobile page, use the "Next: Tag Features" button to tag the page’s features. Or, if you wish to do this at a later time:
1. Go to Pages.
2. Select the Mobile App you wish to tag.
3. Select the page in which you’d like to tag features.
4. Inside the page details, click on Manage Page in the top right to load the Designer.
5. You will see a screenshot of the page on the right. You can now point and click on any feature in the screenshot. Selecting a feature will add it to the features table on the left and will allow you to name it (optionally assign it to a group) and save.
Tag a feature
6. (Optional) Use the “Exclude text from feature’s rule” option when you want to track this feature regardless of its text. This can be used when:
- A button does not have a consistent text across users or times
- In multi-lingual apps when the button’s text might change between different users.
7. Tagging list elements - when tagging a list item in your app (a line in a table, a menu entry etc) Pendo tags this feature by the position/index of the item in the list.
- If you tagged the 1st list item, Pendo collects analytics only on clicks on the 1st item. If you tag the 3rd item, Pendo collects analytics only on clicks the 3rd item, and so force.
- Stay tuned: In the future Pendo will allow you to tag 'any click on this list'.
8. Tagging 'below-the-fold' features - if some of your page's features reside "below the fold" i.e. - they do not exist in the original page's screenshot, follow these instructions:
- Capture the page in its scrolled state and save it as a new page. The name can indicate that this is a 'below-the-fold' capture.
- Tag features on this new page.
- Note that the page analytics of this 'below-the-fold' page will be the same as the original page.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are my features identified?
- A feature is always tagged in the context of a page.
- A rule is created for each tagged feature which relates to the "class" of the element, the element's text if such exists, its position in the list, its position on the page and many other parameters.
- If a feature is not identified correctly, contact our support so that we can modify the feature's rule to match your needs.
- Features will usually be identified correctly across your app versions. However, if you performed User Interface changes to your app and specifically changed button texts, you might need to Recapture the Mobile Page in order to make sure all features are identified correctly and fix the tagging if needed.
I can’t tag some of the features in my application. What do I do?
There are many ways to implement mobile buttons. We’re working on identifying as many button types as possible. If you’re unable to tag and get analytics for any of your mobile features, please contact our support.
A possible workaround is using Track Events to track specific features to collect that data.
I stopped getting new analytics for some of the tagged pages. Why is that?
Have you released a new app version to the store recently? If some of your pages/features changed in the newly released app version, you can update them by Recapturing the Mobile Page.