The Core Events: Account Retention by Usage widget shows the impact early Core Event usage has on your long term Account retention. Core Events are the actions and events that demonstrate customers are using your app in a meaningful way. Customers who use Core Events should realize the value of your product and maintain Account activity over time. Core Event usage should reflect broader product adoption. The goal is to better predict which product areas influence Account retention.
If early usage of a Core Event doesn't show above average Account retention, it's likely that you selected the wrong Core Event and that retained Accounts are using a different feature. You can use this data to validate your Core Event selection and any assumptions you've made about your key product areas. These findings are a starting point for additional research and decision making. Why aren't users being retained when they use the features you think are important? How do you direct more users to the features used by retained Accounts? How do you improve those features to convert users into enthusiastic promoters of your product?
Learn more about Using Core Events
Learn more about the Dashboard
- Core Events must be set up by an Admin Pendo user
- Account IDs must be configured in the Install Snippet
Learn how to Setup Core Events
Learn about installing with Account IDs in Planning your Pendo Installation
Understanding the Data
The chart in the Account Retention by Usage widget shows a trend line for each Core Event of Account retention over time for Accounts where any Visitor used the Core Event within the first 30 days of the Account history. For an Account to qualify for the analysis the Core Event being queried must have been used in the first 30 days after the Account start date by any Visitor with that Account ID. Each Core Event has a unique number of Accounts that it measures due to the inclusion criteria.
- Account Retention - Any activity by any user during a frequency interval
- Account Start Date - The first day the Account ID is passed to Pendo by your installed Snippet
Hover over the trend line to see detailed retention data for each Core Event at each frequency interval. This includes the number and percentage of Accounts retained versus the starting number of qualified Accounts and the number and percent change from the previous frequency interval.
The widget displays the Core Events setup for the selected app. If the Core Events for an app are changed the widget reflects those changes the next time it is loaded, either by adding or updating the widget, navigating to the Dashboard, or refreshing the browser.
Add the Widget to the Dashboard
1. Click + Add Widget in the top right corner of the Dashboard.
2. Select the Core Events: Account Retention by Usage widget from the list of available widgets.
3. Edit the widget to select the Name, measurement Frequency, Account Retention Date Range, Segment, and App you want to query.
- Name - Display name on the Dashboard
- Core Event First Use Period - Core Event was used within this time period of the Account start date
- Default fixed at First 30 Days.
- Frequency - Interval that retention data is measured and grouped by
- Account Retention Date Range - Date range during which retention is measured
- Segment - Accounts queried for usage data
- Larger Segments will have less volatility in the data
- App - App queried for Core Event selection and product usage data
4. Save Widget to add the widget to your Dashboard.
Edit or Remove the Widget
The widget can be edited or removed from the Dashboard.
Click More on the top right corner of the widget.
Edit Widget opens the Edit Widget module where you can change all the widget parameters.
Remove Widget permanently removes the widget from the dashboard.