Dashboards are composed of widgets that provide snapshots and visualizations of your data, allowing you to quickly view and compare different figures. Each Pendo user can create their own unique dashboards to access the metrics that matter to them at a glance.
Define dashboard details
By default, you have a single dashboard titled New Dashboard with an assortment of widgets to help get you started on creating your first dashboard. You can update this dashboard to meet your needs or create an entirely new dashboard. To learn how to create a new dashboard, see Multiple dashboards below.
To rename the dashboard title, select the title, delete the existing text, then enter your desired name for the dashboard. You can also add a colored icon that attaches to the name for further customization—select the icon to the left of the title, make your selections, then select Apply.
Below the title, select Add a description to describe the purpose of the dashboard or any other important details. The description supports up to 280 characters and displays at the top of the dashboard, as well as in the dashboard catalog.
Add and move dashboard widgets
To add a new widget to your dashboard, select + Add Widget in the top-right corner of the dashboard to view the widget catalog. For the full widget catalog, see Dashboard Widgets.
If you want to move the placement of a widget on your dashboard, hover over a widget to reveal the textured area at the top-center of the widget, then drag and drop the widget to your desired placement.
Modify dashboard widgets
In the top-right corner of each widget, there are two icons for modification: Resize and More. Each of these options are explained in detail below.
- Resize widget. If you have a half-size widget, you see the option to Make full width. Once selected, the widget expands to the full width of the dashboard. If you have a full-size widget, you see the option to Make half widget, which shrinks the widget width to half of the dashboard. The Text Block widget also supports height adjustments.
- Edit widget. While editing, you can update the name of any widget to make it easier to identify and apply a segment if you want to see information for a certain subset of your visitors. You can add the same widget to a dashboard multiple times, allowing you to quickly compare two different segments against the same metric. There are also additional edit options depending on the specific widget.
- Remove widget. Once you delete a dashboard widget, you can't recover it, but you can re-add the widget at any time through the Add Widget button on the page.
- Manage annotations. Use annotations to provide contextual notes of up to 1000 characters when you're sharing the dashboard in presentation mode.
Interact with dashboard widgets
You can hover over certain widgets to reveal additional information. For example, the Weekly Visitors widget provides more specific details as you hover from left to right.
Some widgets allow you to perform a different action to view more details within the widgets. The categories in the Browser Usage widget allow you to select the type of browser to provide a breakdown of which versions your visitors are using. Click and drag over widgets that are scatter plots, such as Feature Use By Visitor or Feature Use By Account, to zoom in and view additional details within the widget.
Filter your dashboard
In addition to being able to apply widget-specific filters, you can also apply dashboard-level filters that apply to most widgets on the dashboard. This allows you to update the segment, date range, app, or account that's being targeted on a dashboard without having to edit every widget individually.
Note: Not all dashboard-level filters are compatible with all dashboard widgets. The Goals widget, in particular, doesn't support any dashboard-level filters.
When you apply a dashboard-level filter, the dashboard URL is updated accordingly. This means that these filters are retained when you copy and paste the dashboard URL to share with other users in your Pendo subscription.
- To apply a dashboard filter, select Add Filter above your first widget, choose which type of filter you'd like to apply (Segment, Date, App, or Account), then select a value. Repeat as needed.
- To remove an applied filter, select the Delete icon on the filter, or select Clear Filters located to the right of the filters to remove all dashboard-level filters applied.
- Once applied, you can view the filters that were applied using the filter icon in the top-right corner of the widget. Hover over this icon to view which filters were applied and if any of the filters aren't supported with that particular widget.
Any dashboard-level filters that you apply override the filters applied on the individual widgets. If you decide to remove dashboard-level filters, the original widget filters apply.
Create multiple dashboards
Multiple dashboards can help you measure a variety of metrics for different parts of your initiatives within Pendo. To create a new dashboard, select the Add (+) icon next to the dashboard header in the left-hand navigation menu.
Alternatively, you can select + New Dashboard from the Dashboards page.
Once created, enter a name for your dashboard and customize it with different widgets. If Pendo detects you have multiple dashboards when saving a widget from a Data Explorer report, you're prompted to select which dashboard before saving.
You can create as many dashboards as you want, as well as rename and delete them as needed.
View all dashboards
All of your dashboards, as well as dashboards shared with you, are available on the Dashboards page. Select View All from the dashboard list in the left navigation menu to access the full directory.
Alternatively, you can select All dashboards from the top-left corner of a dashboard you're already viewing.
All of your dashboards are searchable and filterable by dashboards created by you or shared with you. You can sort the table columns by name, description, creator, the last person to update the dashboard, and the date and time of the last update. You can also favorite specific dashboards using the Star icon to easily find the dashboards you care about most.
You can also hover over a dashboard row in the table to share, duplicate, or delete your own dashboards, as well as remove dashboards shared with you, from the directory.
Share your dashboard
By default, dashboards are set to private and only accessible to you. To share the dashboard with other users in your Pendo subscription, select Share.
To learn more about sharing dashboards, see Dashboard Sharing.
Present your dashboard
Presentation mode in Pendo Dashboards provides a dedicated view to present and share your dashboard with others, focusing on one widget at a time. To enter presentation mode, select the ellipsis located in the top-right corner of the dashboard, then select Present dashboard to open the Presentation Settings dialog.
In the Presentation Settings dialog, set your preferences for presentation mode, then select Save and Launch. Pendo remembers these settings next time you launch presentation mode.
- Rotation Delay Between Widgets. This is the time interval before Pendo automatically transitions to the next widget. Enter a number, and select seconds or minutes.
- Fullscreen Mode. If selected, your presentation uses your browser's fullscreen capability. You can also turn this option on or off while you're in presentation mode.
Once you save your presentation settings, a new screen displays your first dashboard widget. As the specified duration elapses, the next widget appears. You can also use the arrows located to the left and right of the widget to navigate between widgets as needed.
Annotations added to your dashboard widgets display beneath each widget to provide contextual information during your presentation.
At the top-right of the screen, you can choose to enter or exit fullscreen mode and exit presentation mode.
Duplicate your dashboard
If you have an existing dashboard that's mostly what you need in a new dashboard, you can make a copy it. You can copy dashboards that you've created and dashboards that other users have shared with you. Select the ellipsis in the top-right corner of the dashboard, then choose Duplicate dashboard.
A new dashboard populates with "Copy of" in front of the dashboard name you just duplicated. You can then update the new dashboard's name, description, icon, and widgets to meet your needs.
Set a home dashboard
If you have multiple dashboards, you can designate which dashboard displays when you log in to Pendo by setting a home dashboard. This includes view-only dashboards that were shared with you and created by other Pendo users. Select the ellipsis in the top-right corner of the dashboard, then choose Set as home dashboard.
Once selected, the dashboard refreshes and shows a Home icon next to the title. You can quickly access your home dashboard any time by selecting the Pendo logo in the top-left corner of the app.
You can only have one dashboard designated as your home dashboard at once. To change your home dashboard, navigate to the preferred dashboard, then repeat the same steps above.