The Text Block dashboard widget adds free text fields to your Pendo dashboards, which helps you include important context alongside your Pendo data. The Text Block widget supports all the editing tools you need to add structured text with headings, emphasis, and lists.
Common examples to use the Text Block widget include starting your dashboard with an introduction and executive summary, explaining key findings, and highlighting insights as you present Data Explorer charts, Guide Experiment results, and NPS data. You can also use it to document next steps and communicate how your product data translates into follow-on actions.
This article provides an overview of the Text Block dashboard widget in Pendo Engage.
Add the Text Block widget
First, navigate to your desired dashboard in Pendo. Select + Add Widget in the top-right corner of the page, then select Text Block.
You can add multiple Text Block widgets to your dashboard and drag-and-drop them to your desired placement. This is useful for dividing your dashboard into sections and adding important context to the data in each of those sections.
Edit the Text Block widget
The Text Block widget supports basic word processor formatting using a WYSIWYG editor and contains familiar action bar buttons for the following actions:
- Heading, subheading, and paragraph formatting selection
- Bold text
- Italicize text
- Underline text
- Strikethrough text
- Add code
- Highlight text
- Update text color
- Add bulleted or numbered list
- Align text
- Insert quotes
- Add horizontal line
- Add code block
- Add link
- Undo changes
- Redo changes
- Discard changes
- Save changes
It also supports the following keyboard shortcuts:
- Bold. < Ctrl + B > or < Cmd + B >
- Italics. < Ctrl + I > or < Cmd + I >
- Underline. < Ctrl + U > or < Cmd + U >
- Strikethrough. < Ctrl + Shift + X > or < Cmd + Shift + X >
- Bulleted list. < Ctrl + Shift + 8 > or < Cmd + Shift + 8 >
- Numbered list. < Ctrl + Shift + 7 > or < Cmd + Shift + 7 >
- Heading. < Ctrl + Alt + 2 > or < Cmd + Option + 2 >
- Subheading. < Ctrl + Alt + 3 > or < Cmd + Option + 3 >
- Paragraph. < Ctrl + Alt + 0 > or < Cmd + Option + = >
- Undo. < Ctrl + Alt + Z > or < Cmd + Option + Z >
- Redo. < Ctrl + Shift + 7 > or < Cmd + Shift + 7 >
Markdown commands are available for additional formatting:
- **bold** or __bold__
- *italics* or _italics_
- 1. Ordered lists
2. Item 2
3. Item 3
- -Unordered lists
- # heading
- ### subheading
- > Block quotes; add another > to make nested block quotes
- --- full-width horizontal line
- \ escape syntax
- Links, images, automatic code blocks, escaping backticks (``), and HTML aren't supported
Manage the Text Block widget
There are a few options for managing the Text Block widget: adjusting the size, saving or discarding changes, and deleting the widget.
- Adjust the size of the Text Block widget to suit your needs. In addition to the standard resizing options of full width and half width, you can adjust the height of the widget as well.
- Save your changes. Select the Finish (checkmark) icon, or select outside of the Text Block widget.
- Discard your changes. Select the Close (X) icon.
- Delete the widget. Select the Delete (trash) icon.
To learn more about general dashboard functionality, see Dashboards.