We highly recommend preview and testing a guide before publishing it to your population. Follow the below instructions to see how.
To use the Visual Design Studio, Pendo users will need one of the two following permissions:
- Pendo Administrator Permissions
- Pendo User Permissions with at least the
- Create Guides from Layouts
- Manage Published Guides
- Create Guides & Layouts from Scratch
Create a Guide
To start creating a mobile Guide, please make sure you have your mobile application integrated with SDK 2.x. You can verify this by looking under ‘Subscription Settings’ and making sure this app has an “Integrated” label.
Your app is integrated with the V2 SDK
Choose “Guides” -> “Guides” from the left-hand navigation menu, and click on “Create New Guide” from the “Visual Design Studio” button on the top right.
Create New Guide
Select your mobile app from the drop-down menu.
Then select a mobile layout from the available layouts.
Once you choose your layout, you will be asked to rename your Guide. Type in your desired Guide name.
Click on “Manage in My App” to open the Visual Design Studio to edit your Guide.
Customize the guide's content
Manage in my app
You can make any initial edits to your Guide within the “Edit Container” box. The container's default settings are set by your app's Theme. To edit the container settings, change the Theme to 'Custom'. You can choose a ‘Full screen’ or ‘Pop Up’ layout for your guide.
Edit Container Settings
Once you click “Apply,” you will be able to hover over the placeholder items within the Guide Preview and click to edit. If you need to add a new Building block to your Guide, hover between items to see the blue line and add your desired building block.
Adding Building Blocks to Guide
Preview Your Guide
To understand how your Guide will look on the mobile device, use “Preview Guide On Device.” You will be directed to connect a device and the guide will show on the device.
It is very important to test how the guide looks on a real mobile device before publishing since what you see in the visual designer is just a “web preview” of the guide.
Preview your Guide on a real device or an emulator
Choose your activation method
Let’s select when this guide will be activated. The Guide Activation selection is in the Action Bar:
You will have three options:
- App Launch: Guide appears once when your app launches.
- Page View: Guide appears once you view a specific page in the app.
- Target Element: Guide appears once you click on a specific feature in the app.
Select the activation type for your mobile guide
If you selected ‘Page View’ or ‘Target element’ activation, you will be asked to select a page over which the guide will appear.
Select an already tagged mobile page for guide activation or tag a new page
You can select an already tagged page, or tag a new page from this flow by clicking on a ‘Tag New Page’ button. In this case, you will be asked to connect a device and capture a new page.
If you selected ‘Target Element’ activation, after selecting the desired page, you will be asked to select an element which will activate the guide by clicking it in the screenshot.
Target Mode - Select an Element
To verify the selected activation is working as expected, use the ‘Test Full Flow on Device’.
The guide will show:
- App launch: immediately, imitating an ‘app launch’ activation.
- Page View: when you enter the selected page.
- Target Element: once you click on the selected button on the selected page.
Once you finish working on the guide, save your changes using the top left-hand “Save” button and click “Exit” to leave the designer.
Segment and Schedule Your Guide
When you’re satisfied with your Guide, navigate to your Guide’s Detail Page to adjust the guide’s segment & scheduling.
- Select the segment of users who will receive the guides. The default segment is ‘Everyone’. You can see how many users are included in your selected segment and what is the number of the eligible visitors.
- Schedule when your Guide will go live (and, if needed, when it will no longer be active).
- Eligible Visitors: Sometimes the number of eligible visitors is smaller than your segment. Why is that?
Some of your users might still be using an old app version with an old SDK version. In this case, Pendo's new features may still not be available for these users.
Publish and Validate Your Guide
To publish your Guide, update the Guide’s status to Public.
Since there is no ‘Staging’ option for mobile, never publish a mobile guide without testing its full flow on a mobile device.
- Disconnect your device from Pendo (click on the Pendo FAB on your device, and select disconnect -> permanently disconnect)
- Close your app and relaunch it (guides are sent to the device at the beginning of the "session").
- If you are included in the guide's segment, you will be able to see the guide in your app by triggering the guide's "activation" criteria.
- Note that once a user sees the guide, they will not see it again.