Product innovation is key to customer retention, competitive advantage, growth. Knowing what to build next will increase your chances of finding product-market fit faster because you can deliver the right features faster, increase retention and growth, accelerate customer time-to-value, and maximize engineering time spent on building the right things.
Product managers don’t necessarily need a fully-baked, step-by-step framework to tell them how to do their jobs — they need good tools, and (more importantly) good habits for utilizing those tools to drive results.
How to Make It
Step by step instructions for setup
- Take an inventory of all the places feedback is currently being taken and condense sources of feedback into one source of truth
- Set expectations both internal and externally with your product feedback policy
- Start with internal trainings to ensure all Feedback is being entered in a central location
- When ready to take Feedback live to customers, announce it with in-app guides and a blog post
- During live meetings, either direct customers to the Feedback portal or enter requests on behalf of the customer on the spot via Salesforce integration)
- Understand current product usage
- Use Data Explorer to ask and answer questions. The chart below is an example of a report you can build in Data Explorer. It helps show how many visitors who have visited a page and have also used a feature, by role:
3. Use qualitative and quantitative inputs to generate themes around potential product improvements
- Use feedback reports and other quantitative data to inform decisions
4. Validate core themes with customers
5. Prioritize potential new features
6. Communicate releases with customers
- Update your Roadmap to keep users up to date with what’s coming.
- For maximum impact, display in-app feature announcements to relevant users to drive adoption. Make sure you specify the appropriate audience by including the segment.
Tip: If you have multiple in-app guides already public, make sure you are determining the right cadence and priority using guide throttling and ordering.
- Use Pendo’s Resource Center to keep a log of all product updates in our “Announcements” module: