Why should I recapture a page?
As your app changes and evolves, you sometimes make user interface changes to your app's screens and buttons.
Pendo creates an analytics 'rule' for each tagged page and feature. These rules are agnostic to most of the user interface changes, meaning that your page/feature analytics will keep on working. However, there are some changes that require you to capture the page again in order to keep seeing analytics for these pages/features. During this 're-capture' flow, Pendo updates the page and features rules to match the change in the application's UI.
Examples for changes in the user interface that require re-capture:
- Change of a page's title or change of the selected tab's label
- A substantial change in the page's structure in iOS (tab bar, navigation bar, main menu etc)
- An addition of a new button that you want to tag
- A major re-design in your app
How do I recapture a page?
Recapturing a page is super easy:
- Go to Pages and select your page.
- Click on Manage Page in the top right corner.
- Under the page's screenshot, you will see a Recapture Page option.
- Click on 'Recapture Page'. If your device is not yet connected, connect your device and follow the instructions to capture this page again.
Note: you can do this flow at any time. You will not lose analytics because analytics are retroactive.
Help us locate features which changed
After recapturing a page, we try to locate all the previously tagged features of the page. If we fail to find any of them, we ask for your help.
- If a feature was removed from the page, click on 'Don't fix' to remove this alert. Features marked as 'Don't fix' will no longer show under the list of features in 'Manage Page' but you can still see their analytics under 'Features'.
- If a feature still exists on the page, click Update and select the feature again on the page’s screenshot. The feature's rule will then be updated to match both the old and the new appearances of this page.
This message indicates that some of your features have changed. Find the features on the new page.
As long as there are some unidentified features on a page, you will see an alert as a reminder. If you wish to stop seeing that alert, update these features or select 'Don't fix'.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I do this with each new app version I release to the store?
No! Thanks to our page identification mechanism, you usually don't need to do anything in Pendo after upgrading your app. Analytics and guides will keep working.
This flow is required when your app changed and, as a result, the page rule or feature rule that Pendo uses does not identify the revised page/feature correctly. You'll be able to see that this is happening by identifying that your analytics numbers decrease for a specific page/feature. You can proactively verify that everything is still working by recapturing the page after you did some visual changes in your app.
I see a message of 'Page does not match' after recapture. Why?
You will see this message when we identify that the page you've just captured does not match its original page's 'rule'. We want to ask you to make sure that you've indeed re-captured the correct page.
After verifying that you are working on the correct page, go ahead and click 'Update Anyway' to continue with the flow.
What if I re-capture a page that hasn't changed?
No harm is done if the page hasn't changed. In this case, Pendo will identify that the existing analytics rules work for the page and all its tagged features, and will not change anything in the page's definition.
What happens if my page changed and I don't re-capture it?
If you keep the page as is, it means that it is using a page rule that might not match its new appearance. In this case, this page will not collect analytics from the new app versions of your app. Expect to see a drop in the analytics of this page at around the time you released a new app version. If you see this happening, recapture the page to make sure. No harm will be done if the page hasn't changed.
It's important to note that you will never lose analytics because of an app page/feature change. Analytics are always sent from the device. As soon as you recapture the page, you will start seeing the correct analytics count.
Why am I getting this error 'Different Page Captured'?
Sometimes when capturing the page you might see this error indicating that the newly captured page matches a different page than the one you are now editing. If this is not the case, contact our support.
Can you notify me when I need to recapture?
We plan to add a proactive check and notifications for pages and features that require an update in the future.